Penalver Is Mightier Than the Sword
Carlos Penalver had three hits, drove-in a run, and stole a base, and Rock Shoulders and Yasiel Balaguert hammered RBI doubles, leading the Cubs to a 6-2 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #1 ("Connie Mack Field") in Phoenix, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-8, P-6, 1-3 SH, F-9)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, E-6, 2 R)
2b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, E-6, R)
3. Javier Baez, DH #1: 0-5 (K, K, K, E-5, P-6)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (E-5, 1B, E-6, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-5 (4-6 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 2B, 6-3, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-3)
6b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (K)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, HBP, 4-3, 1B)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (3-6 DP, K, HBP, L-1 DP)
10a. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, 4-6 FC, R)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (18 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 32 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
@jonahkeri Joe Maddon living out Joe Maddon fanfic IRL tonight
yes. I was at the Sean Marshall game in LF. Lou Piniella was managing. StL won 4-2, so I guess it didn't help but it was zany. Soriano/Reed Johnson and Marshall were the LF's.
On a 6 degrees of separation note: Cubs got Travis Wood in the trade that sent Sean Marshall to Cincy.
Make that 1-7, 4 RBI.
i like how strop played LF with his "crooked cap" look...that's not just for the mound.
let baez pitch the 15th, he earned it.
Forget the save, finally Javier!!
Can a pitcher get more than one hold in a game? Or a Win and a save?
Didn't they do this sort of thing with Sean Marshall years back? Sticking him in LF to save him to face others, but without a pitcher replacing him in LF.
This is the most beautiful thing ever.
all i wanna know is...when's d.ross gonna pitch?
Maddon is over-managing the shit out of this game.
i was a bit more confused why the guy who gave up a HR to votto last night was facing him with 2 men on.
...now that wood is coming in to pitch the following inning, the whole thing gets weirder. so like, okay.
Javy 0-6. At least he's consistent.
What's with the Travis Wood stuff? Is it because he pitched the last 2 games?
peralta (and maddon) owes zobrist a coke.