Penalver Is Mightier Than the Sword
Carlos Penalver had three hits, drove-in a run, and stole a base, and Rock Shoulders and Yasiel Balaguert hammered RBI doubles, leading the Cubs to a 6-2 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #1 ("Connie Mack Field") in Phoenix, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-8, P-6, 1-3 SH, F-9)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, E-6, 2 R)
2b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, E-6, R)
3. Javier Baez, DH #1: 0-5 (K, K, K, E-5, P-6)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (E-5, 1B, E-6, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-5 (4-6 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 2B, 6-3, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-3)
6b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (K)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, HBP, 4-3, 1B)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (3-6 DP, K, HBP, L-1 DP)
10a. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, 4-6 FC, R)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (18 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 32 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
Looks like Soler has decided to take the "can't play in the cold" thing head-on. No longer wearing the cold-weather under gear.
Cubs record for last 3 months of regular season baseball: 59 - 23. (Aug, Sept/Oct and April, with one still to go).
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.
So where does Warren G rank in the list of terrible "Take me out to the ballgame" renditions? It's gotta be near the top.
They only need to win 18 more in a row to match the 1984 start of the Detroit Tigers.
I agree that it is frustrating and baffling and I am surprised more teams don't try and take advantage of it. However, in the end, I would rather have a pitcher that has 4-5 outs innings versus 4-5 runs innings.
.464 obp play him over Mr june-august
And he can play the field
I don't have any problem being "reminded" of it -- but anything more than a short sentence about it makes my eyes glaze over and skip to the bottom.
per Len: Not Wrigley Field Friendly confines today, it's Szczur's Palace
It's kinda neat seeing guys with such little experience doing so well off the bench. Usually it's guys with a bit more time. How many major league at bats do those two have between them?