Penalver Is Mightier Than the Sword
Carlos Penalver had three hits, drove-in a run, and stole a base, and Rock Shoulders and Yasiel Balaguert hammered RBI doubles, leading the Cubs to a 6-2 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #1 ("Connie Mack Field") in Phoenix, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-8, P-6, 1-3 SH, F-9)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, E-6, 2 R)
2b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, E-6, R)
3. Javier Baez, DH #1: 0-5 (K, K, K, E-5, P-6)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (E-5, 1B, E-6, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-5 (4-6 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 2B, 6-3, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-3)
6b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (K)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, HBP, 4-3, 1B)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (3-6 DP, K, HBP, L-1 DP)
10a. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, 4-6 FC, R)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (18 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 32 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
" . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"
He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.
For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.
Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.
Just scroll by.
John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Monday's intrasquad game:
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...
Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!
Dear Baseball Gods--
My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.
jaso has a cycle and 5 rbis...pit leads by 4.
have a nice
bowl of pizza soupdeep dish pizza...or a leisurely walk around the notorious south-side (bring money)...shopping at one of the walmart supercenters...waiting in line to waste $20 at willis tower...
seriously, though...it's chicago, a lot to do. have a dog for lunch, a great dinner, and catch some local comedy.