Penalver Is Mightier Than the Sword
Carlos Penalver had three hits, drove-in a run, and stole a base, and Rock Shoulders and Yasiel Balaguert hammered RBI doubles, leading the Cubs to a 6-2 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Papago Park Baseball Complex Field #1 ("Connie Mack Field") in Phoenix, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (1B, F-8, P-6, 1-3 SH, F-9)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (6-4-3 DP, 1B, E-6, 2 R)
2b. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, E-6, R)
3. Javier Baez, DH #1: 0-5 (K, K, K, E-5, P-6)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (E-5, 1B, E-6, HBP, R, RBI)
4b. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-1 (2B, RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-5 (4-6 FC, 4-6-3 DP, 2B, 6-3, F-8, R, RBI)
6a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-3)
6b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (K)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, 1B, RBI, SB)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, HBP, 4-3, 1B)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (3-6 DP, K, HBP, L-1 DP)
10a. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, 4-6 FC, R)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (18 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 32 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 33 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
neat. 41 years old and damn close to 3000 hits.
also, rain delays suck.
take that giants
TEX takes the opening game from TOR (@TOR) 5-3.
Ride the Kid Magic! Schwarber hadn't homered in a long time before last night.
Greg Maddux was 8-18 in his rookie season. Kyle has the 8 wins down pat.
Think Baby Maddux.
Prof. Harold Hill's THINK system at work.
Kyle is on the far left.
Just tweeted via Jesse Rogers: Hendricks starting Game 2. Wow. Just wow.
That was good!
1. I hate the fact that after 162 games, a team could be out after 1 game. However, I think the system is pretty close to perfect right now. 2 of 3 isn't feasible unless they shorten the regular season, and it ices the division winners for way too long. This creates excitement, and rewards the division winners.
Call me lost.