Rockies Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Xavier Batista ripped a single, an RBI triple, and a solo home run to stake the Cubs to a 2-1 lead through five innings, but the Rockies scored two in the 6th and two more in the 7th and then held-on to edge the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
In 25 EXST PA, X. Batista is hitting 435/500/782 with one HR, one triple, three doubles, six RBI, and only two K. He was the last cut from the Peoria squad at the end of Minor League Camp, so he could be in-line for a promotion to Peoria in the near future.
RHP Starling Peralta got the start for the Cubs and threw three strong innings, allowing one run (earned) on three hits and a walk, with four strikeouts. His fastball was topping out at 95 MPH.
Javier Baez went hitless in four at-bats, striking out twice (both times swinging). He is now 0-17 with eight strikeouts since hitting for the cycle last Monday versus the Angels.
However, the two balls Baez put into play today were a towering fly ball to the deepest part of the ballpark caught up against the fence by the Rockies CF, and the other a fly ball to left that required a diving catch by the LF.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (1-3, K, 6-3)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-1 (P-6)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, P-2, R)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-1 (1B+E6)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-4 (K, F-7, K, F-8)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 3-3 (3B, HR, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
4b. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, K, F-7)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-7, 5-3, 1B, 6-3, R)
7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (F-7, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
9. Anthony Giansanti, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-8)
10. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-3 (6-U FC, K, F-8)
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 0/4 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 45 pitches (27 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Conteras: 2-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Over/under on HBP tonight?
Yes, I know KB played LF and Szczur played RF last night, but there's a legit case that RF is the easier draw at PNC.
Seems an odd lineup -- Soler in LF and Bryant in RF? Two guys out of position? I guess Fed has to catch tonight so All Star Gramps can catch Lester tomorrow. Or maybe Joe just wants somebody else to catch a no-hitter. Would love to see KB get the power turned on. C'mon Jorge -- channel your playoff self!
All it took was Schwarber, Heyward, and Szczur getting hurt for him to get to play again. Let's go ahead and call this little stretch your last real chance to prove you belong on this team, Jorge.
soler hitting 2nd...didn't expect that one.
tonight: Fowler, Soler, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrisjt, Baez, Russell, Federowicz, Arrieta
roster shuffle official per Sun Times, Gordon Wittenmeyer on twitter...Szczur to DL with minor hamstring strain, Chris Villanueva to 60 day DL, Ryan Kalish to 40 man roster and gets the call-up.
There's an interview with Heyward up on ESPN where he says the wrist thing has been lingering and he just brought it up with the team as it didn't go away. So that could very well explain why he hasn't had the same hard contact recently.
Ryan Kalish writeup (by Peter Gammons last November):
Villanueva goes to the 60 day DL.
Peter Gammons just tweeted that teammates are tweeting Kalish is getting recalled. Not sure which ones and what they'll do with the 40 man but there we go.
Jesee Rogers just said he thought Ryan Kalish would be the call up.
Ryan Kalish is not on the 40-man either.
Schwarber hurt, Heyward hurt, Szczur hurt. Let's see how many guys have to go down before Soler gets his job back.
RHP Jake Arrieta (5-0, 1.00)
Neat. This ought to be a good game.
Unless somebody goes on the 60-DL or ouright them they can't call up Shane he's not on the 40 man roster, he still on a minor league contract