Game 19 Thread - Volstad vs. Lynn

Cubs go for the sweep? Holy s@#$%!

Cardinals Cubs
*Descalso, 2B
*Clevenger, C
Robinson, CF
Barney, 2B
Lynn, P
Volstad, P

There are some looming showers, so getting a full game in may not happen. I should be around if anyone wants to try Parachat.

Comments

Here's an idea, can we just leave LaHair in every game until he proves he's can't hit lefties instead of assuming it. I don't think he hit .340 or whatever it was last year in AAA without hitting lefties at some acceptable level.

Agreed. Jeff Baker is Mark DeRosa..without the talent. More LaHair, less sucking would be nice.

If Baker can hit lefties, which he has shown he can do, why not turn this supposed short term asset into a long term asset. Why wait until July? Maybe they feel they can get more then, but I would rather have some else develop insted of him taking at bats. You could say the same for Reed Johnson, but I just like watching him play.

Q Ball would have probably pinch hit for LaHair last night with a lefty out there. I'm thinking/hoping maybe Sveum is sold now. I'm sure he saw that AB the night before where he drew a walk after, like 200 pitches, just like we did.

The Cubs with LaHair and Campana in the lineup don't need a full game.

They're that good.

I'm giving a final exam to my class and read this - and burst out laughing. nice!

I had teachers that laughed out randomly, but that was before the internet and so it was a little disturbing.

modern age home field advantage

LED board in RF is distracting the visiting team's bullpen catchers during night games.

in the twitter box, but some details on Wrigley renovation plans and how much they're trying to get from city. Mostly in the form of bonds and tax cuts on that amusement tax.

ruh roh

Sleeveless Volstad again.

from the tweet corner: " It's really easy to say on Twitter that the Cubs should bench or release Soriano. In real life it's a lot more complex than that."

Did you guys notice how excited Soriano got after he got the walk hit off yesterday? He was getting interviewed by somebody and suddenly they showed him jumping up and down like a little kid with a huge grin on his face, like he had just won the 7th game of the WS with it.

It made me wish he'd have that comeback year some of us thought he might have after spring training.

they had just dumped a bucket of ice water on him.

maybe they should dump ice water on him before he takes the field each inning.

Doubles Clevenger strikes again.

unfortunately after a GIDP by Stewart

Someday left fielders will start playing him down the line and pitchers will realize they have to challenge him inside. Until then, let it ride.

I've seen him spray the ball just about everywhere.

Bukakleavenger!

You

Did

Not

;)

Stewart is about what CRUNCH said.

Man - what a bunch of suck at the plate.

1-2 count on Carpenter and he gives up a single

1-0 Cards, Holliday up with runners on 2nd/3rd

Rooney is a pro
Mike Shannon breathes into mic
Must. Buy. Budweiser.

Meanwhile, small sample size, but Tyler Colvin having career year with 32 PA's.

Um LaHair!!!

Wtf

Amazing!

LaAwesome!

Cubs All-Star representative and Home Run Derby participant.

The way things are going, the Cubs will assuredly only get the one default rep, and as should be, it's #13.

Double Play Clevenger

wtf Campana? 2 bunt attempts and then a K.

either Sveum or Campana is a moron for trying to bunt there.

When I saw Campana in Round Rock with Iowa he tried to bunt on every at bat, I think. He was also way too small for his helmet, but that's another thread.

Definitely bullcrap of the first order. Someone must pay. Then of course the double whammy as the Cards don't waste their op. frickin' Barney's double missed being an HR by about 1/8"

That's how I knew we wouldn't get him in. Too many things went our way yesterday. Foooock

2-out implosion by Volstad

4-1 Cardinals after a RBI double by Beltran and 2-run HR by Freese.

Memo to Cubs Way manual: 3rd time through lineup, visitors adjust swings; Cubs must also...

Brenly: "I got a sense Soriano is about to go on one of his hot streaks"

Soriano: swings at a pitch one inch off the ground and strikes out

More often than not I have noticed Brenly is pretty good with his situational hunches.

Like Stoney, but doesn't pat himself on the back.

Does Voldstad remind anyone of Thomas Diamond?

Yes, in loses...

Stature AND losses

The Cubs Way chapter on situational hitting, needs to be out in caps OR read out loud to Mather and Campy...

i'm starting to believe this manual doesn't exist...or it's not printed in english and spanish, only greek.

Does Stewart lead the league in ground outs?

45.5 GB% according to fangraphs, nowhere close to the top

Barney leads team at 52.6%, Soriano next at 51.5%, Stewart in the middle of the pack along with LD% and FB%. He is near the bottom in BABIP though at .227.

Tabata leads NL at 72 GB%, then a bunch in the low 60's.

Thanks. It averages out that when I happen to catch a game, Stewart grounds out every AB.

I've seen him strike out, too.

• crunch 3 hours 55 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 3 hours 56 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 4 hours 29 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 4 hours 53 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 1 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 11 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 30 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.