Cubs Take Two from Giants at Indian School Park
Xavier Batista blasted a three-run home run and an RBI double and Trey Martin singled twice, doubled, stole a base, scored two runs, and drove-in another, leading one squad of Cubs to a 10-3 victory over one squad of Giants on Field #1, and Rock Shoulders drilled a two-run single in the top of the 1st and six Cub pitchers combined to throw a three-hit shutout as the other squad of Cubs blanked the other squad of Giants 3-0 on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Several pitchers who spent the 2011 season in the Dominican Summer League (DSL) made their U. S. game debut for the Cubs today, including 19-year old Mexican RHP Javier Castro, 19-year old Venezuelan soft-tossing LHP Augusto Colina, 6’6 20-year old Dominican RHP Jorge Diaz, and 21-year old Venezuelan RHP Loiger Padron. All of the new guys pitched OK, although Colina did give up a solo HR to the first man he faced (second pitch) in the bottom of the 4th.
Since all Extended Spring Training statistics are unofficial anyway, I have also included the Cubs stats from yesterday’s game versus the Giants at Fitch Park that was rained out in the bottom of the 1st inning.
So here are the abridged box scores from the two games played today in Scottsdale (Cubs players only), plus the Cubs stats from yesterday’s game versus the Giants at Fitch Park that was rained out in the bottom of the 1st inning:
FITCH PARK FIELD #3 - MESA:
CUBS PLAYERS WHO BATTED PRIOR TO RAIN-OUT
Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-1 (P-4)
Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-0 (BB)
CUBS PITCHER (TOP OF THE 1st INNING ONLY):
Rob Whitenack: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK – SCOTTSDALE
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 3-5 (5-3, 1B+E6, E-3, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-5 (1B, 4-3, 6-3, FC, F-8, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (1-3, K, 1B, 2B, K, 2 R, RBI)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-4 (3-U, P-5, 2B, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (K, P-6, 2B, K, R, RBI)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (3-U, K, 1B, 3B, R, RBI, SB)
7. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, K, L-9, SB)
8. Trevor Gretzky, DH #1: 1-3 (F-7, BB, 1B, 4-3)
9. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 1-4 (3-U, F-8, 4-6 FC, 1B, R, PO)
10a. Mark Malave, DH #2: 0-2 (6-3, K)
10b. Wilfredo Petit, PH-DH: 0-2 (6-3, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 28 pitches (18 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 26 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 20 pitches (18 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
5. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 4:
1. RF Xavier Batista - E-9 (dropped fly ball allowing batter reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (throwing error on attempted force-play allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. P Jorge Diaz - E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (BB, P-4, F-8, P-4, R)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, 6-3, R)
2b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (3-U, HBP, 6-3, 1B)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-7, K, 2 RBI)
5a. Anthony Giansanti, C: 2-2 (BB, 3B, 1B, R)
5b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (K)
6. Brian Inoa, DH #2: 1-3 (K, 3-U, 1B)
7. Ryan Durrence, 1B-DH: 1-3 (1B, K, 6-4-3 DP)
8. Danny Lockhart, 3B-2B: 0-3 (6-4 FC, 5-3, P-6)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, 3-1)
10. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 29 pitches (19 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
6. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 14 pitches (12 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Pichardo’s outing was stopped in bottom of add-on inning once he reached 14 pitches
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
RF Yasiel Balaguert – E-9 (fielding error on line drive single allowed batter to take an extra base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance to 3rd base on single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.