Matt Garza's 9th inning hair

What a dominant performance by Matt Garza.
The Philadelphia Phillies get one eensy weensy perfectly placed bloop single from Jimmy Rollins to lead off the game.
Then it's just Garza magic for 7 innings - one walk, no runs, Cubs 3 Phils zeeero.
Rafael Dolis gets 3 straight in the 8th.
And then it's Carlos Marmol.

If an outfielder can record an assist, Marmol records inconsists.
He gets an out, walks two, gets another out, and Hunter Pence singles so now the bases are loaded.
Marmol then walks Ty Wigginton and a run in before Shane Victorino finally grounds out.

Victorino was the tying run.

Think that doesn't make Garza's hair go white?
It's such a nightmare.
It feels like Marmol's been pitching for hours, but you look at the clock and it's only taken him minutes to put the 7 gorgeous Garza innings on endangered species.
He's lost whatever mojo he used to have.
Remember Wild Thing Mitch Williams?
All over the place but still kinda fun.
Carlos' struggles are joyless to the average Cub Fan.

Okay, on the other side.
Tony Campana.
2 for 4 and scores twice and his speed is Freddy Krueger scary to the Other Team.
He'll just run til he scores, which he did on Hunter Pence in the 3rd when Starlin Castro hit a shallow fly ball that nobody woulda run on.
Because for a shot putter, Pence throws pretty good.
Campana slid right between the catcher's legs.
Speed wins.

Now I'm not saying it will happen, but it's possible that the Cubs might just take 3 of 4 in Philadelphia.
And nowadays I absolutely love to say this:
The payroll for the Phils is the second-highest in baseball at $174,538,938.
The Cubs cost $88,197,033.
For yesterday at least, that's some serious entertainment value.

Comments

Campana is ridiculous.

we'll be saying the same thing when he's back to a .300 OBP, but it'll mean something completely different.

enjoy the ride, it sure is fun to watch when it's good.

He's faster than I ever thought he would be following him in the minors.

This is a good year for a Campana. Fun to watch and I don't care that much whether he's actually making the team better. Maybe he'll lead the league in steals and some GM will think he's that team's next leadoff guy.

He's a man of extremes... extremely small, extremely fast, extremely large glove.

I in general dislike stealing because most people who try it hurt the team more than it ends up helping. Smart base stealers though I'm all about. I have barely watched Campana but that run home though (though not a steal) was an example of a really smart slide between the catcher's legs. From people who've watched him more, does he generally make smart decisions like that or is he just fast?

Castro, for example, really needs to make smarter decisions.

I would ask...Castro is 10 of 13 stealing..which is pretty good? Has he been getting thrown out on the bases a lot?

One CS was when he overslid third. He was safe before that.

Yeah I've seen some silly base running from Castro. He's young of course but bad base running just tears my heart out every time I see it. I'm definitely a disciple of the "don't make outs" philosophy.

this morning

0.2 IP, 5 H, 7 H, 7 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR

GO, 2B, 2B, GO, 1B, HR, 1B (advances to 2B on error by Pin-Chieh Chen), Balk advances runner to 3B, HBP, BB

pitching change to Willengton Cruz

gives up a triple scoring all the inherited runs

Um

OUUUUUUUUCH!

He was under the impression that those earned runs would be redistributed across the pitching staff.

Is that a communist/socialist Cuban reference? Nice! :D

still trying to figure this signing out.

he's way too young to chalk up, but he showed nothing in Cuba...though pitching over his head.

this was/is theo-corp's 1st "pure scouting" sign...hope it's not wasted money/roster.

extremely fast
---
Campana's real competition... (recent blurb per rotoworld):

Reds prospect Billy Hamilton has tallied 29 stolen bases in 23 games this year at High-A Bakersfield.
Hamilton has also greatly improved his plate discipline from where it was last year, boasting 14 walks against 18 strikeouts and a stellar .398/.481/.591 slash line in 104 plate appearances. The 21-year-old shortstop might be the fastest player in baseball and should continue to rise steadily through the Reds' farm system.

it wouldn't be a competition

Hamilton is on another level.

I hear that all the time.

DeJesus RF, Campana CF, Castro SS, LaHair 1B, Soriano LF, Stewart 3B, DeWitt 2B, Soto C, Volstad P

Rollins 6, Polanco 5, Victorino 8, Pence 9, Wigginton 3, Nix 7, Ruiz 2, Orr 4, Worley 1

how much longer must campy hit 2nd?

asking him to hit for contact or move a runner is an adventure i'd rather not be on.

I would love to see them swap Campana and the Jesus. Even though Campana is a fairly poor hitter and isn't much for obp, he is so irritating for the opponent on the bases, that it doesn't really matter.

• crunch 3 hours 40 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 4 hours 14 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 4 hours 38 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 46 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 56 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 15 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.