Angels Edge Cubs at Diablo
On a rehab assignment from AA Tennessee, Junior Lake (back strain) doubled, walked, stole a base, and scored a run, Pierre LePage (also on a rehab assignment after suffering a hamstring injury in Spring Training) laced an RBI triple, an RBI single, and walked, and Kevin Encarnacion ripped a two-run triple and scored a run, but the Angels scored three in the 5th and two more in the 8th to edge the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Lake hadn’t seen game action in more than a month, but he looked to be 100% today, batting six times (once in each of the first six innings) and playing shortstop for the first four innings.
He grounded out to short leading off the game, stuck out (swinging) in the top of the 2nd, walked and stole a base (but was left stranded) in the 3rd, clubbed a double off the LF fence and then scored on the LePage RBI triple in the top of the 4th, popped out to the third-baseman in the 5th, and flied out to deep CF in the 6th. Lake also handled two chances flawlessly in the field, starting a 6-4-3 DP to end the bottom of the 3rd, and throwing out another Angel hitter 6-3 to finish the 4th.
Another game or two like that and he’ll be back in the Smokies lineup by the end of the week.
RHP Jose Arias had another strong outing, throwing three shutout innings.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
X. Junior Lake, SS-DH: 1-5 (6-3, K, BB, 2B, P-5, F-8, R, SB)
NOTE: Lake batted six times, once in each of the first six innings
1. Pierre LePage, 2B: 2-3 (BB, 3B, 1B, F-9, 2 RBI)
2. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-4 (K, K, 3-U, P-5)
3. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (P-3, K, K)
4a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (K, K)
4b. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-0 (HBP)
5. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, P-6, F-8)
6. Jair Bogaerts, DH #1: 0-3 (F-9, K, 6-3)
7. Carlos Penalver, DH-SS: 1-3 (K, 2B, K, R)
8a. Brian Inoa, DH #3: 0-2 (P-5, K)
8b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-2 (F-7, BB, 1B, R)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 2-2 (1B, 3B, SH-FC, R, 2 RBI, CS)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 35 pitches (22 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Ian Dickson: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 38 pitches (19 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 23 pitches (16 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Jin-Young Kim: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
Anthony Giansanti: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."