Giants Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Dos Victorias at Fitch Park
The Giants swept the Cubs by scores of 3-1 and 2-1 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Cinco de Mayo doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning contests, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra half-inning so that Alvido Jimenez could throw a second inning.
Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick SS Javier Baez left the game on Field #3 after being hit on the left arm by a pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Junior Lake (back strain) completed his rehab assignment yesterday and has left Arizona, (presumably) en route to join the Tennessee Smokies in Sevierville.
Also, INF Luis Acosta, 3B (ex-C) Mark Malave, LF-RF Delbis Arcila, and catcher Antonio Valerio have been sent back to the Cubs Dominican Academy in Boca Chica, DR.
Acosta and Malave are just 17-years old, and both received $1M+ signing bonuses during the International Signing Period last summer. Acosta murders fastballs but needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball (totally clueless), and the beefy switch-hitting Malave (the more-advanced hitter of the two) needs lots of reps at 3B.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3 DP, 5-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, F-9, E-5)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (BB, P-4, K)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (3-1, 5-3)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, 3-1)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, R)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (P-5, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 B, 1 K, 25 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. P Alvido Jimenez - E-1 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-4)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-0 (HBP)
3b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (BB, P-5, F-8, SB)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, F-8, 2B)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 3B, F-7, R)
8. Neftali Rosario, C-DH: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, HBP, RBI)
9. Brian Inoa, DH-2B: 1-3 (1B, 5-4 FC, L-6, CS)
10. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.2 IP, 2 H , 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Classic ending, about 12:11 AM, CST. 5 hours, 3 minutes. Magic #19.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?
Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:
- 2014: 2.5
- 2015: 1.0
- 2016: 2.6
But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.