Giants Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Dos Victorias at Fitch Park
The Giants swept the Cubs by scores of 3-1 and 2-1 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Cinco de Mayo doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning contests, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra half-inning so that Alvido Jimenez could throw a second inning.
Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick SS Javier Baez left the game on Field #3 after being hit on the left arm by a pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Junior Lake (back strain) completed his rehab assignment yesterday and has left Arizona, (presumably) en route to join the Tennessee Smokies in Sevierville.
Also, INF Luis Acosta, 3B (ex-C) Mark Malave, LF-RF Delbis Arcila, and catcher Antonio Valerio have been sent back to the Cubs Dominican Academy in Boca Chica, DR.
Acosta and Malave are just 17-years old, and both received $1M+ signing bonuses during the International Signing Period last summer. Acosta murders fastballs but needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball (totally clueless), and the beefy switch-hitting Malave (the more-advanced hitter of the two) needs lots of reps at 3B.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3 DP, 5-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, F-9, E-5)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (BB, P-4, K)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (3-1, 5-3)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, 3-1)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, R)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (P-5, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 B, 1 K, 25 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. P Alvido Jimenez - E-1 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-4)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-0 (HBP)
3b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (BB, P-5, F-8, SB)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, F-8, 2B)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 3B, F-7, R)
8. Neftali Rosario, C-DH: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, HBP, RBI)
9. Brian Inoa, DH-2B: 1-3 (1B, 5-4 FC, L-6, CS)
10. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.2 IP, 2 H , 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.
Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...
Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.