Giants Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Dos Victorias at Fitch Park
The Giants swept the Cubs by scores of 3-1 and 2-1 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Cinco de Mayo doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning contests, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra half-inning so that Alvido Jimenez could throw a second inning.
Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick SS Javier Baez left the game on Field #3 after being hit on the left arm by a pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Junior Lake (back strain) completed his rehab assignment yesterday and has left Arizona, (presumably) en route to join the Tennessee Smokies in Sevierville.
Also, INF Luis Acosta, 3B (ex-C) Mark Malave, LF-RF Delbis Arcila, and catcher Antonio Valerio have been sent back to the Cubs Dominican Academy in Boca Chica, DR.
Acosta and Malave are just 17-years old, and both received $1M+ signing bonuses during the International Signing Period last summer. Acosta murders fastballs but needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball (totally clueless), and the beefy switch-hitting Malave (the more-advanced hitter of the two) needs lots of reps at 3B.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3 DP, 5-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, F-9, E-5)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (BB, P-4, K)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (3-1, 5-3)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, 3-1)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, R)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (P-5, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 B, 1 K, 25 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. P Alvido Jimenez - E-1 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-4)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-0 (HBP)
3b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (BB, P-5, F-8, SB)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, F-8, 2B)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 3B, F-7, R)
8. Neftali Rosario, C-DH: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, HBP, RBI)
9. Brian Inoa, DH-2B: 1-3 (1B, 5-4 FC, L-6, CS)
10. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.2 IP, 2 H , 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus