Giants Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Dos Victorias at Fitch Park
The Giants swept the Cubs by scores of 3-1 and 2-1 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training Cinco de Mayo doubleheader this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Both games were pre-scheduled as seven-inning contests, but the game on Field #2 was extended an extra half-inning so that Alvido Jimenez could throw a second inning.
Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick SS Javier Baez left the game on Field #3 after being hit on the left arm by a pitch in the bottom of the 1st inning.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Junior Lake (back strain) completed his rehab assignment yesterday and has left Arizona, (presumably) en route to join the Tennessee Smokies in Sevierville.
Also, INF Luis Acosta, 3B (ex-C) Mark Malave, LF-RF Delbis Arcila, and catcher Antonio Valerio have been sent back to the Cubs Dominican Academy in Boca Chica, DR.
Acosta and Malave are just 17-years old, and both received $1M+ signing bonuses during the International Signing Period last summer. Acosta murders fastballs but needs to learn how to hit a breaking ball (totally clueless), and the beefy switch-hitting Malave (the more-advanced hitter of the two) needs lots of reps at 3B.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-3, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3 DP, 5-3, F-7)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, F-9, E-5)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (BB, P-4, K)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (3-1, 5-3)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, 3-1)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
8. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, R)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (P-5, 6-3)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 B, 1 K, 25 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 31 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. P Alvido Jimenez - E-1 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-4)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, F-8, 3B)
3a. Javier Baez, SS: 0-0 (HBP)
3b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-DH: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (BB, P-5, F-8, SB)
6. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, F-8, 2B)
7. Anthony Giansanti, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 3B, F-7, R)
8. Neftali Rosario, C-DH: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, HBP, RBI)
9. Brian Inoa, DH-2B: 1-3 (1B, 5-4 FC, L-6, CS)
10. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.2 IP, 2 H , 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 20 pitches (16 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (15 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Neftali Rosario: 1-2 CS
2. Anthony Giansanti: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80’s
Theo was trying to clear the mess that Hendr left
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.