Giants Take Two from Cubs at Indian School Park
Freddy Sanchez (2011 shoulder surgery rehab) had three hits and Jonathan Jones blasted a three-run home run, leading the Giants past the Cubs 6-4 and 3-2 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
On a rehab assignment with the EXST Giants, Sanchez played 3rd base for four innings in the game on Field #2, and led-off the bottom of the first four frames. He grounded out 5-3 in his first AB, before drilling singles in each of his next three Plate Appearances.
Cubs 2011 30th round draft pick RHP Arturo Maltos-Garcia (July 2011 TJS rehab) made his pro game debut, working one inning and allowing the J. Jones three-run bomb after issuing two walks. He struggled with his command throughout the inning, throwing 27 pitches but only 14 strikes. Maltos-Garcia suffered his elbow injury in a JUCO playoff game at Central Arizona College a year ago this month.
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHP Sheldon McDonald and RHP Charles Thomas have been moved up to Peoria.
In six Cactus League EXST games (12.0 IP), the 23-year old McDonald posted a 1.50 ERA and 0.83 WHIP, with one walk and 18 strikeouts. McDonald attended Northeastern University and pitched for Team Canada in international competition prior to getting selected by the Cubs in the 33rd round of the 2011 June draft.
The 23-year old Thomas was selected by the Cubs in the 10th round of the 2009 draft out of Edward Waters College (the legendary Buck O'Neil's alma mater), and played 3B his first two years in pro ball, hitting a combined 244/297/357 in 109 minor league games. The 6’4 230+ Lee Smith clone was converted to a RHP two years ago, although he was a two-way player (3B/RHRP) in college. In 26 minor league games 2010-11, Thomas put up a 3.42 ERA and 1.67 WHIP, with 30 K in 26.1 IP. He had a 0.00 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP with 3/9 BB/K in five Cactus League EXST games (8.1 IP) in 2012. His fastball has been clocked at 98 MPH, but his progress on the mound has been slowed by on-going control issues.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (2B, P-4, 4-1, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-2 (4-3, F-7, BB, R)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (F-8 SF, 6-3, P-5, RBI)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Dong-Yub Kim, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3, RBI)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-3 (3-U, 3-U, 2-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, R)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF-DH: 1-2 (3B, 4-1, R, RBI)
11. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, RBI, CS)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (28 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 27 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1:
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 4-6 FC)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2B, 6-3, R, SB)
3. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-3 (F-8, 1B, 1B, RBI)
4. Anthony Giansanti, DH #1: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, R)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, P-1, RBI)
6. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (1B, L-1, F-7)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 3-U)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
10. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 39 pitches (24 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 35 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safelyand unearned run to score)
3. C Wilson Contreras - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
I am right there with you closing in on 60.
Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.
I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.
I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.
btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.
SOUTH BEND to MYRTLE BEACH: OF Donnie Dewees and INF Bryant Flete
EUGENE to SOUTH BEND: OF Robert Garcia and INF Vimael Machin
There is really no reason to replace Billy McKinney at Tennessee because both Chris Coghlan and Jorge Soler are doing their rehab at Tennessee.
And there are plenty of pitchers at Iowa. No need to replace Warren at AAA. .
McKinney and Crawford are decent prospects but both are redundant/replaceable in the system and Warren was really only a middle-reliever or #6 starter, so to me it's really just Torres for Chapman.
There is no Comp pick for players traded mid-season. 2+ months of Chapman is it.
Having Chapman as a rental is potentially less disruptive than having him come in with an extension in place.