Giants Take Two from Cubs at Indian School Park
Freddy Sanchez (2011 shoulder surgery rehab) had three hits and Jonathan Jones blasted a three-run home run, leading the Giants past the Cubs 6-4 and 3-2 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
On a rehab assignment with the EXST Giants, Sanchez played 3rd base for four innings in the game on Field #2, and led-off the bottom of the first four frames. He grounded out 5-3 in his first AB, before drilling singles in each of his next three Plate Appearances.
Cubs 2011 30th round draft pick RHP Arturo Maltos-Garcia (July 2011 TJS rehab) made his pro game debut, working one inning and allowing the J. Jones three-run bomb after issuing two walks. He struggled with his command throughout the inning, throwing 27 pitches but only 14 strikes. Maltos-Garcia suffered his elbow injury in a JUCO playoff game at Central Arizona College a year ago this month.
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHP Sheldon McDonald and RHP Charles Thomas have been moved up to Peoria.
In six Cactus League EXST games (12.0 IP), the 23-year old McDonald posted a 1.50 ERA and 0.83 WHIP, with one walk and 18 strikeouts. McDonald attended Northeastern University and pitched for Team Canada in international competition prior to getting selected by the Cubs in the 33rd round of the 2011 June draft.
The 23-year old Thomas was selected by the Cubs in the 10th round of the 2009 draft out of Edward Waters College (the legendary Buck O'Neil's alma mater), and played 3B his first two years in pro ball, hitting a combined 244/297/357 in 109 minor league games. The 6’4 230+ Lee Smith clone was converted to a RHP two years ago, although he was a two-way player (3B/RHRP) in college. In 26 minor league games 2010-11, Thomas put up a 3.42 ERA and 1.67 WHIP, with 30 K in 26.1 IP. He had a 0.00 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP with 3/9 BB/K in five Cactus League EXST games (8.1 IP) in 2012. His fastball has been clocked at 98 MPH, but his progress on the mound has been slowed by on-going control issues.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (2B, P-4, 4-1, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-2 (4-3, F-7, BB, R)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (F-8 SF, 6-3, P-5, RBI)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Dong-Yub Kim, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3, RBI)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-3 (3-U, 3-U, 2-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, R)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF-DH: 1-2 (3B, 4-1, R, RBI)
11. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, RBI, CS)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (28 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 27 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1:
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 4-6 FC)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2B, 6-3, R, SB)
3. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-3 (F-8, 1B, 1B, RBI)
4. Anthony Giansanti, DH #1: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, R)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, P-1, RBI)
6. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (1B, L-1, F-7)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 3-U)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
10. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 39 pitches (24 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 35 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safelyand unearned run to score)
3. C Wilson Contreras - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.