Giants Take Two from Cubs at Indian School Park
Freddy Sanchez (2011 shoulder surgery rehab) had three hits and Jonathan Jones blasted a three-run home run, leading the Giants past the Cubs 6-4 and 3-2 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
On a rehab assignment with the EXST Giants, Sanchez played 3rd base for four innings in the game on Field #2, and led-off the bottom of the first four frames. He grounded out 5-3 in his first AB, before drilling singles in each of his next three Plate Appearances.
Cubs 2011 30th round draft pick RHP Arturo Maltos-Garcia (July 2011 TJS rehab) made his pro game debut, working one inning and allowing the J. Jones three-run bomb after issuing two walks. He struggled with his command throughout the inning, throwing 27 pitches but only 14 strikes. Maltos-Garcia suffered his elbow injury in a JUCO playoff game at Central Arizona College a year ago this month.
In EXST Cubs roster news, LHP Sheldon McDonald and RHP Charles Thomas have been moved up to Peoria.
In six Cactus League EXST games (12.0 IP), the 23-year old McDonald posted a 1.50 ERA and 0.83 WHIP, with one walk and 18 strikeouts. McDonald attended Northeastern University and pitched for Team Canada in international competition prior to getting selected by the Cubs in the 33rd round of the 2011 June draft.
The 23-year old Thomas was selected by the Cubs in the 10th round of the 2009 draft out of Edward Waters College (the legendary Buck O'Neil's alma mater), and played 3B his first two years in pro ball, hitting a combined 244/297/357 in 109 minor league games. The 6’4 230+ Lee Smith clone was converted to a RHP two years ago, although he was a two-way player (3B/RHRP) in college. In 26 minor league games 2010-11, Thomas put up a 3.42 ERA and 1.67 WHIP, with 30 K in 26.1 IP. He had a 0.00 ERA and a 1.15 WHIP with 3/9 BB/K in five Cactus League EXST games (8.1 IP) in 2012. His fastball has been clocked at 98 MPH, but his progress on the mound has been slowed by on-going control issues.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (2B, P-4, 4-1, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-2 (4-3, F-7, BB, R)
3. Dan Vogelbach, DH #1: 0-2 (F-8 SF, 6-3, P-5, RBI)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B)
5a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5b. Dong-Yub Kim, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, 5-3, RBI)
6. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-3 (3-U, 3-U, 2-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (4-3, F-9)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, R)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF-DH: 1-2 (3B, 4-1, R, RBI)
11. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, RBI, CS)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 43 pitches (28 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 27 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
3. Loiger Padron: 2.0, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1:
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (6-3, 3-1, 4-6 FC)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (K, 2B, 6-3, R, SB)
3. Xavier Batista, RF: 2-3 (F-8, 1B, 1B, RBI)
4. Anthony Giansanti, DH #1: 1-1 (2B, BB, BB, R)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, P-1, RBI)
6. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (1B, L-1, F-7)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
8. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 3-U)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
10. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (5-3, BB, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Rob Whitenack: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 39 pitches (24 strikes), 6/1 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 35 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Pete Levitt: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safelyand unearned run to score)
3. C Wilson Contreras - E-2 (errant throw on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.
while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.
Carl Jr.! Very nice!
Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.
m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.
...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.
I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.
2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.
welcome back fowler.
More slow news...
Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?
glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.
.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.
i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).
CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).
The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.
CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.
Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.
Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"
He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.
Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.
Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.
Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.
Slow news day...