Miscues Help Angels Edge Cubs at Fitch Park

Taking advantage of two costly Cub errors, the Angels rallied for three runs in the top of the 8th and edged the Cubs 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.

While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, Brian Smith, Su-Min Jung, Amaury Paulino, and Ryan Hartman worked in a four inning “sim” game on Field #1, facing a lineup of Cubs position players who were not in the game on Field #3.

The four pitchers who threw in the “sim” game have been struggling with their control, and are being held out of EXST games until they can demonstrate that they can throw strikes more consistently. If they are unable to do that, a couple of them (Jung and Hartman) could get released before the end of Extended Spring Training.

Here is the abridged box score from the EXST game on Field #3 (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 3-1, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-9 SF, P-4, BB, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 3-U, F-9)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, R)
4b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
6. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-3 (5-3, F-9, F-8)
7. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8a. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
8b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, R, SB)
10b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)

CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Augusto Colina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)

CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Xavier Batista threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double

ATTENDANCE: 13

WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s

Comments

AZ Phil: Does Danny Lockhart have any upside other than having his dad as one of the Cub field scouts? I don't recall him getting any hits yet, and now two errors today.

Tue, 05/08/2012 - 5:10pm — Cubster

================================================

CUBSTER: Danny Lockhart has not had a good EXST so far, but he is fairly versatile and fundamentally sound. He played only SS in HS and had to learn 2B and 3B on the fly, and now he actually looks better at 2B and 3B than he does at SS (his natural position).

It's a bit early to determine his ceiling, but if I had to guess, I would say maybe AAA utility infielder, but he will have to show more with the bat than he has this Spring to reach his potential.

He probably will be assigned to the AZL Cubs at the end of EXST. I don't think he's ready for Boise.

DANNY LOCKHART (2012 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST GAMES):
205/279/257 (16 GAMES – 43 PA)
2 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 4 R, 4/8 BB/K, 2 SB (0 CS), 1 PO
DEFENSE: 5 ERRORS (four at SS, one at 2B)

This 'having wild pitchers prove themselves in intra-squad sims' seems new. I think I like it.

Phil,

Where has Baez been lately? I feel like he hasn't been playing much lately, did he play in that Intrasquad, see if you can throw strikes game? I know you said there were cycles for all of the players, he just hasn't been showing up in boxes lately IIRC.

Thanks for all you do big guy.

Also wanted to know if you have seen any guys the Cubs might be working out for the draft and or July 2 signings. It's about getting to be that time and I'm interested to see what direction the Cubs are thinking of going with those four top 70 picks.

For everyone else, where would you like to see the Cubs go with those picks. Personally, I'd like to see Almora at 6, just on tools alone I think he is 2a to Correa and Buxton and I think pitching can be addressed later. Just IMHO. What say you?

Wed, 05/09/2012 - 9:06am — W Flag

Phil,

Thanks for all you do big guy.

============================

W FLAG: Javier Baez left Saturday's game after being hit by a pitch on the left arm in the bottom of the 1st inning. He will supposedly be back in the lineup sometime this week.

• John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Tuesday's Cubs instructs intrasquad game:

link

Arizona Phil 5 min 31 sec ago view
  • jacos 58 min 23 sec ago view
  • Bear fans are so impatient! They signed that great All-American QB out of Columbia--Luckman--just a little while ago, didn't they? Now it's the Eagles' turn. After all, it's been almost ten years since McNabb.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • Arizona Phil 1 hour 25 min ago view
  • " . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"

He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.

VirginiaPhil 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.

Tito 1 hour 46 min ago view
  • Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.

Rob Richardson 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • Just scroll by.

Tito 1 hour 58 min ago view
  • Pitchers are golfers

Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse

jacos 3 hours 34 min ago view
  • Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.

QuietMan 9 hours 47 min ago view
  • Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!

billybucks 13 hours 2 sec ago view
  • Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...

JoePepitone 14 hours 4 min ago view
  • Attaboy!

• Phil, thanks for posting. Where do find the schedule? I have a condo in Surprise, yet I drove to Mesa and Tempe looking for a game today! Thanks!

rvimpeny 14 hours 20 min ago view
  • Dear Baseball Gods--
    My trip to Chicago has nothing whatsoever to do with the Cubs. In actuality, I am a Red Sox fan.
    Sincerely,
    CTSteve

CTSteve 14 hours 21 min ago view
  • Well, if Strop had to give up a run...at least he hit Sean Rodriguez to do it.