Miscues Help Angels Edge Cubs at Fitch Park

Taking advantage of two costly Cub errors, the Angels rallied for three runs in the top of the 8th and edged the Cubs 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.

While the Cubs were playing the Angels on Field #3, Brian Smith, Su-Min Jung, Amaury Paulino, and Ryan Hartman worked in a four inning “sim” game on Field #1, facing a lineup of Cubs position players who were not in the game on Field #3.

The four pitchers who threw in the “sim” game have been struggling with their control, and are being held out of EXST games until they can demonstrate that they can throw strikes more consistently. If they are unable to do that, a couple of them (Jung and Hartman) could get released before the end of Extended Spring Training.

Here is the abridged box score from the EXST game on Field #3 (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 3-1, 3-U, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-9 SF, P-4, BB, RBI)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 3-U, F-9)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, R)
4b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
6. Anthony Giansanti, C: 0-3 (5-3, F-9, F-8)
7. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
8a. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
8b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-2 (P-3, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
10a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, R, SB)
10b. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)

CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. Javier Castro: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 28 pitches (15 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Augusto Colina: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
5. Roderik Pichardo: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Danny Lockhart - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)

CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Xavier Batista threw out batter 7-4 trying to stretch a single into a double

ATTENDANCE: 13

WEATHER: Mostly sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80’s

Comments

AZ Phil: Does Danny Lockhart have any upside other than having his dad as one of the Cub field scouts? I don't recall him getting any hits yet, and now two errors today.

Tue, 05/08/2012 - 5:10pm — Cubster

================================================

CUBSTER: Danny Lockhart has not had a good EXST so far, but he is fairly versatile and fundamentally sound. He played only SS in HS and had to learn 2B and 3B on the fly, and now he actually looks better at 2B and 3B than he does at SS (his natural position).

It's a bit early to determine his ceiling, but if I had to guess, I would say maybe AAA utility infielder, but he will have to show more with the bat than he has this Spring to reach his potential.

He probably will be assigned to the AZL Cubs at the end of EXST. I don't think he's ready for Boise.

DANNY LOCKHART (2012 CACTUS LEAGUE EXST GAMES):
205/279/257 (16 GAMES – 43 PA)
2 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 4 R, 4/8 BB/K, 2 SB (0 CS), 1 PO
DEFENSE: 5 ERRORS (four at SS, one at 2B)

This 'having wild pitchers prove themselves in intra-squad sims' seems new. I think I like it.

Phil,

Where has Baez been lately? I feel like he hasn't been playing much lately, did he play in that Intrasquad, see if you can throw strikes game? I know you said there were cycles for all of the players, he just hasn't been showing up in boxes lately IIRC.

Thanks for all you do big guy.

Also wanted to know if you have seen any guys the Cubs might be working out for the draft and or July 2 signings. It's about getting to be that time and I'm interested to see what direction the Cubs are thinking of going with those four top 70 picks.

For everyone else, where would you like to see the Cubs go with those picks. Personally, I'd like to see Almora at 6, just on tools alone I think he is 2a to Correa and Buxton and I think pitching can be addressed later. Just IMHO. What say you?

Wed, 05/09/2012 - 9:06am — W Flag

Phil,

Thanks for all you do big guy.

============================

W FLAG: Javier Baez left Saturday's game after being hit by a pitch on the left arm in the bottom of the 1st inning. He will supposedly be back in the lineup sometime this week.

• Giants scare me. I think you're wrong about Bumgarner, he would pitch on short rest for Game 2 and then full rest for Game 5. Cueto would go Game 1, then short rest in game 4. Add in some really tough outs in that lineup and I want nothing to do with them. With that rotation they can easily steal a series.

Cards are a tough matchup. The rivalry evens out their comparable lack of talent. And like someone said, they love HRs, which is how to beat the Cubs. The upside is that I would feel really good about Lester twice against STL.

John Beasley 37 min 9 sec ago view
  • j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er

zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8

heyward 0-4 :(

• Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales

Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says

• Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.

I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.

The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.

I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.

• I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.

With that said in reverse order:
    3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.

2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.

blockhead25 16 hours 17 min ago view
  • 1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
    2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
    3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.

Charlie 18 hours 59 sec ago view
  • Who's asking?

jacos 18 hours 2 min ago view
  • #TeamEntropy

CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.

Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.

• I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.

• any opponent preference for NLDS?

Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.

• Rob Richardson 1 day 23 min ago view
  • Can't teach height and thinness

jacos 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.

jacos 1 day 11 hours ago view
  • j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.

crunch 1 day 11 hours ago view
  • Wow. I didn't know they could do that.

Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.

billybucks 1 day 12 hours ago view
  • Game is officially called...also officially a tie.

Stats count, no make-up date of course.

Rob G. 1 day 12 hours ago view