Late Angel Rally Leaves Cubs Fit to Be Tied
Wilson Contreras tripled twice, singled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Eduardo Gonzalez ripped a two-run triple and a single, but the Angels rallied for two runs in the bottom of the 8th and two more in the 9th, as the Cubs and Angels played to a 6-6 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was called after the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the 9th.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 1B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
1b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: NO AB
2. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 3-4 (3B, K, 1B, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, E-4, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B- DH: 0-3 (4-3, BB, K, 5-3)
5a. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7, RBI)
5b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-1 (3-U)
6a. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, 3-1)
6b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, F-8, CS)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (BB, E-6, F-7, R, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
10. Ryan Durrence, DH-1B: 0-3 (4-6 FC, 5-2 FC, F-8, 2 R)
1. Starling Peralta: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (34 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Jin-Young Kim: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 45 pitches (29 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error on attempted 6-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
To take my mind of this latest disaster...wow, I thought baseball money was crazy, but NBA money is now super-wacko crazy. Joakim Noah is 31 with bad knees and absolutely no offensive game. He can't make a layup. The Knicks just agreed to pay him $72M over 4 years. Holy crap.
Thank you, Jason, for allowing me to get to bed at a decent hour. Very thoughtful.
It will be very interesting to see what Theo does at the deadline. Of course, if Jake doesn't get straightened out, it really doesn't matter. A lot of Jake's comments this year, and his posing for nudie pics in the ESPN magazine, rang some alarm bells -- after one great year (and it was amazingly great), his head has swelled tremendously. Jake, look up the word "hubris", then look in the mirror.
...and we're back from the 3rd rain delay.
at least the cubs have a decent backup of...ummmm....well the minor league system has...uhhh...hmmm.
maybe adam warren can manage to throw less than 100 pitches in 5 innings? no?
Not to worry -- I'm sure Hammel will finish strong in the 2nd half of the season (~sad chuckle, reaches for Scotch bottle~).
Hammel has had a rather challenging last month. I am hoping post-break that Hendrix gets pushed ahead of him. They'll be lucky to win a game in NY
hey, alright...cubs losing by 9 and a 3rd rain delay. awesome.
If baseball does not work out for Patton, I think he's got a future in Civil War re-enactments. He's got a solid Johnny-Reb look to him.
David Ross - the mound awaits you.
RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.
10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.
Nimmo certainly does not want to see the Cubs leave town. His first MLB rbi last night and now his first HR.
At least Hammel is eating some innings ... this is the kind of game Peralta should be used if at all.
OK, the hell with it.
It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.
Other than sweeping the Reds -- a bad team actively trying to lose -- this will make 8 losses in 9 games to good teams (Cards, Marlins, Mets). Not good at all.
Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?
And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.
No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.
game restarting...degrom on the mound, hammel taking his AB.