Late Angel Rally Leaves Cubs Fit to Be Tied
Wilson Contreras tripled twice, singled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Eduardo Gonzalez ripped a two-run triple and a single, but the Angels rallied for two runs in the bottom of the 8th and two more in the 9th, as the Cubs and Angels played to a 6-6 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was called after the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the 9th.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 1B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
1b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: NO AB
2. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 3-4 (3B, K, 1B, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, E-4, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B- DH: 0-3 (4-3, BB, K, 5-3)
5a. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7, RBI)
5b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-1 (3-U)
6a. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, 3-1)
6b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, F-8, CS)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (BB, E-6, F-7, R, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
10. Ryan Durrence, DH-1B: 0-3 (4-6 FC, 5-2 FC, F-8, 2 R)
1. Starling Peralta: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (34 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Jin-Young Kim: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 45 pitches (29 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error on attempted 6-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
So, the Mesa Cubs should be solid this summer in the AZL Rookie League?
And, I like the, "But did you know" lead in there. Something a little different.
I can tell really like this group of hitters in AZ right now.
What pitchers out there, other than Cease, should we be excited about?
Thanks as always for the info.
back on the Run Differential hunt... (aka The Hunt for Blue October)
These are the 2016 Cubs I know and love. Also digging that Cardinals OF (lack of) defense.
Another day, another eight runs
I'm not sure there was another team in baseball that would flip a Dansby Swanson type of prospect (plus Inciarte, plus Toussaint) for Miller. That trade was just comically bad from the start, and getting worse...
Zobrist just keeps squaring up - and Soler goes yard!
Pirates jumping all over Shelby Miller tonight - so glad the Cubs didn't flip a Dansby Swanson type prospect to the Braves for him. Two years of Lackey looking like a good alternative.
3rd inning...soler walked twice in the game...first time since aug 4th last year in the regular season (2 times in the playoffs, amazingly).
Good gravy, was that a much-appreciated top of the first.
That's a good analogy, bb... Nice to see tonight's game start with a 104 yard kickoff return TD.
Grichuk won the game last night but a decent CF would have caught that drive by Ross. Good Cubbery!
this game is WAY better than last night.
6 run 1st for the cubs...
Very bizarre game -- as you say, both Cubs pitchers were dominant until the one fatal pitch. It was like watching the Bears defense shut down a team, and then lose on 2 punt returns. Some better hitting with RISP would be a good idea, too.
Trouble Boys, the Replacements bio, is a great option. I'm sure Chad loved it.
Amen Brick. What's the point of following early-season games if you can't over-react to them? What, we should be reading books now?
"Weren't the National considered a near lock last year?"
No, I think you're thinking of Radiohead, The 1975, or Bowie's last album.
Although The National's Greatful Dead tribute is pretty cool.