Late Angel Rally Leaves Cubs Fit to Be Tied
Wilson Contreras tripled twice, singled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Eduardo Gonzalez ripped a two-run triple and a single, but the Angels rallied for two runs in the bottom of the 8th and two more in the 9th, as the Cubs and Angels played to a 6-6 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was called after the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the 9th.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 1B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
1b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: NO AB
2. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 3-4 (3B, K, 1B, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, E-4, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B- DH: 0-3 (4-3, BB, K, 5-3)
5a. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7, RBI)
5b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-1 (3-U)
6a. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, 3-1)
6b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, F-8, CS)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (BB, E-6, F-7, R, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
10. Ryan Durrence, DH-1B: 0-3 (4-6 FC, 5-2 FC, F-8, 2 R)
1. Starling Peralta: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (34 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Jin-Young Kim: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 45 pitches (29 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error on attempted 6-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.