Late Angel Rally Leaves Cubs Fit to Be Tied
Wilson Contreras tripled twice, singled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Eduardo Gonzalez ripped a two-run triple and a single, but the Angels rallied for two runs in the bottom of the 8th and two more in the 9th, as the Cubs and Angels played to a 6-6 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
The game was called after the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the 9th.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 1B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
1b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: NO AB
2. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 3-4 (3B, K, 1B, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, E-4, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B- DH: 0-3 (4-3, BB, K, 5-3)
5a. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7, RBI)
5b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-1 (3-U)
6a. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, 3-1)
6b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, F-8, CS)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (BB, E-6, F-7, R, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
10. Ryan Durrence, DH-1B: 0-3 (4-6 FC, 5-2 FC, F-8, 2 R)
1. Starling Peralta: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (34 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Jin-Young Kim: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 45 pitches (29 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error on attempted 6-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
video of Maddon.
I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.
If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?
#Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.
Fun with FIP
- J. Hammel 3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
- J. Arrieta 2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
- J. Lester 2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
- K. Hendricks 2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
- J. Lackey 3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k
JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.
Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...
joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1
not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.
really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.