Late Angel Rally Leaves Cubs Fit to Be Tied

Wilson Contreras tripled twice, singled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Eduardo Gonzalez ripped a two-run triple and a single, but the Angels rallied for two runs in the bottom of the 8th and two more in the 9th, as the Cubs and Angels played to a 6-6 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.

The game was called after the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the 9th.

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 2-4 (3-1, 3B, 1B, 4-3, 2 RBI)
1b. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: NO AB
2. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 3-4 (3B, K, 1B, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, E-4, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B- DH: 0-3 (4-3, BB, K, 5-3)
5a. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7, RBI)
5b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-1 (3-U)
6a. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, 3-1)
6b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-1 (4-3)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, F-8, CS)
8. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (BB, E-6, F-7, R, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (BB, K, K)
10. Ryan Durrence, DH-1B: 0-3 (4-6 FC, 5-2 FC, F-8, 2 R)

CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 53 pitches (34 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Luis Villalba: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Jin-Young Kim: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 45 pitches (29 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO

CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Javier Baez - E-6 (throwing error on attempted 6-4 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 1B Rock Shoulders - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)

ATTENDANCE: 8

WEATHER: Mostly sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 80’s

Comments

Thanks PHIL.

I don't think the Cubs EXST squad have beaten the Angels once.

Have they?

Wed, 05/09/2012 - 4:10pm — The E-Man

Thanks PHIL.

I don't think the Cubs EXST squad have beaten the Angels once.

Have they?

==========================

E-MAN: It only seems that way.

Going into today's action, the EXST Cubs had lost nine of their last ten games, and their last four versus the Angels. But they beat the Angels three times earlier in Extended Spring Training.

FWIW, overall the EXST Cubs are now 10-17-3:

5-5-1 vs SF
3-4-1 vs LAA
0-4-1 vs AZ
2-1 vs OAK
0-2 vs COL
0-1 vs MIL

That's crazy- but he'll have some crappy outings in which he will get the win. It will probably balance out in the end.

By the way, I hope a situation like this helps put a dagger in the heart of the idiocy of using wins and losses to judge any pitcher.

I think the idiocy would be in only using wins and losses to judge a pitcher. I think they are an important stat, but the inquiry should not stop at that point. If you want to know who have been the best pitchers in Major League history, starting with the wins and losses stat would be a pretty good way of compiling that list.

To me the wins and losses stat should come at the end of your analysis and not the beginning. In a team, wins and losses doesn't inherently tell you anything about the pitcher and by the time you bring in all the other more important stats (ERA, WHIP, WAR, team offense/defense, etc) to make wins/losses mean something you've basically already devalued them to the point where you gotta ask why you're using them in the first place.

There is correlation between wins/losses and pitcher quality. However, it's only correlation in the broad sense and if you're gonna start trying to rank fairly comparable pitchers wins/losses and pitcher quality doesn't correlate well enough in that fine a sense to make it useable for anything statistically meaningful.

In the end, I (and I'm assuming every single one of you here) would rather have Dempster than Malholm getting the ball. Yes wins for Dempster will come and this is a small sample size, but it's an example of how a pitcher pitching better then anyone else in baseball is short 5 wins in any sort of wins/losses comparison with basically nothing more he personally could do to get them.

aaron sele 1998-2001 agrees.

4.27 era 1.42 whip 69-35 w/l

Lighten up Francis......sheesh.
Hit'em with your wallet Albert!

Pujols in the next version of this commercial...

Why didn't the Cubs sign Albert Pujols?!?!

Sorry.

AZ Phil,

Has Baez's recent skid tempered your stance that he should be at Peoria? Are they trying to change anything with his approach or swing or is it just the ups and downs of an 18 year old at the plate?

Thu, 05/10/2012 - 11:31am — jtsunami

AZ Phil,

=====================

TSUNAMI: I still think Javier Baez should be at Peoria, but I don't have a problem with him being down here either.

There is nothing wrong with his swing. His problem is that he is a hyper-aggressive HR hitter who is maybe a bit too pull-conscious, so he tends to pull-off breaking pitches. (He can hit breaking pitches, he just doesn't use the whole field enough). But every now & then he takes it back through the box, and a couple if times he almost took the pitcher's head off in the process.

He has tremendous bat speed and power.

Defensively, the more I see of him at shortstop, the more I see Starlin Castro Redux. Which is to say that while he will commit careless errors, he also makes some really outstanding plays (and DP turns), and I don't see any reason why Baez cannot remain at SS indefinitely.

He is a natural shortstop with more than enough range and arm, but he's REALLY cocky and he likes to show-off.

BTW, he is a good base-stealer and an aggressive base-runner, too.

Will he ever draw a walk? Even if it's intentional?

Weird game for Colby Lewis in Baltimore. Three straight solo HRs by the O's to lead off the game, then 18 straight retired by Lewis, than another solo HR. That's probably a first.

r.flaherty hit one..his 1st.

he's barely playing, but it seems he's their supersub (1st, 2nd, SS, 3rd, LF, RF) in 12 games (today is 13, playing LF).

no errors, but the hitting stats are in the toilet.

I think they had him hitting first too, which is odd.

why is flaherty playing at al? First place teams shouldn't be wasting roster space on Rule 5 guys.

/some orioles message board somewhere