Rockies Score Late to Top Cubs at Dust Storm Field
Javier Baez singled three times, stole two bases, and scored the only Cub run, but the Rockies scored three runs late in the game to break a 1-1 tie and defeated the Cubs 4-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ
The game was extended an extra inning so that all of the Cubs and Rockies pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their scheduled work.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cub players only):
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, K, K)
2a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (BB, P-3, 1-3)
2b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 SB)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, K, K, RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 0-2 (BB, BB, 5-2 FC, F-7)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (2-3, F-8, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (L-4, K, K)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8b. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (K)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, P-3)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Jair Bogaerts, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 32 pitches (24 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
2. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 28 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 22 pitches (11 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Anthony Giansanti - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-3 CS
Neftali Rosario: 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Garrett Schlecht - threw out runner 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on single
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.
He will not pitch another game for Cubs
/Unless injury in playoffs
Today is bullpen day