Rockies Score Late to Top Cubs at Dust Storm Field
Javier Baez singled three times, stole two bases, and scored the only Cub run, but the Rockies scored three runs late in the game to break a 1-1 tie and defeated the Cubs 4-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ
The game was extended an extra inning so that all of the Cubs and Rockies pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their scheduled work.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cub players only):
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, K, K)
2a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (BB, P-3, 1-3)
2b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 SB)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, K, K, RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 0-2 (BB, BB, 5-2 FC, F-7)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (2-3, F-8, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (L-4, K, K)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8b. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (K)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, P-3)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Jair Bogaerts, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 32 pitches (24 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
2. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 28 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 22 pitches (11 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Anthony Giansanti - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-3 CS
Neftali Rosario: 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Garrett Schlecht - threw out runner 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on single
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
"Cubs manager Joe Maddon said Friday that Anthony Rizzo (back) is feeling better and it's "possible" the first baseman could return to the lineup Saturday."
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.