Rockies Score Late to Top Cubs at Dust Storm Field
Javier Baez singled three times, stole two bases, and scored the only Cub run, but the Rockies scored three runs late in the game to break a 1-1 tie and defeated the Cubs 4-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick, east of Scottsdale, AZ
The game was extended an extra inning so that all of the Cubs and Rockies pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their scheduled work.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cub players only):
1. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, K, K)
2a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-2 (BB, P-3, 1-3)
2b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 SB)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, K, K, RBI)
5. Micah Gibbs, DH #2: 0-2 (BB, BB, 5-2 FC, F-7)
6. Anthony Giansanti, 3B: 0-3 (2-3, F-8, 6-3)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (L-4, K, K)
8a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8b. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-1 (K)
9. Ryan Durrence, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, P-3)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-3 (F-9, 3-U, 1B)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Jair Bogaerts, DH #3: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 32 pitches (24 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
2. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 28 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 22 pitches (11 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Anthony Giansanti - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-3 CS
Neftali Rosario: 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Garrett Schlecht - threw out runner 7-2 trying to score from 2nd base on single
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.