Cubs Win One & Tie the Other at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders belted a two-run home run and Shawon Dunston Jr doubled twice and scored two runs, but Kentrell Hill rifled a game-tying RBI triple in the bottom of the 7th to enable the Giants to avoid defeat on Field #1, while Ian Dickson and three relievers were combining to toss a three-hit shutout as the Cubs blanked the Giants 1-0 in the other game on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning contests (the game on Field #1 was called after seven innings with the score tied 5-5).
Micah Gibbs continued his rehab assignment, catching the shutout on Field #2. He racked-up seven more Plate Appearances today (batting once each inning), going 2-6 with two singles and a walk, and a stolen base. He also threw out a baserunner trying to steal 2nd base. In four EXST games, Gibbs is now 3-17 with seven walks.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 5-3 SH, 2 R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 1-3 (4-1, 1B, SH-FC, 1-3, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, K, P-3, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, 6-3, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, E-6)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Wilfredo Petit, DH-C: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 B, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed baserunner to advance an extra base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. LF Trevor Gretzky - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
X. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-6 (1B, BB, 1B, 4-3, K, 4-3, P-4, SB)
NOTE: Gibbs batted seven times - once each inning
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (L-8, K)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
3. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (1-6-3 DP, 5-3)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K+WP, 1B, CS)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, DH-RF: 0-1 (3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (29 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and breezy, with temperatures 100+
Very nice. I saw him in Lansing in May. I'm still stunned that he hit a 400-foot foul ball onto Larch Street ... which is going the other way for a right-handed batter. It was perhaps the most amazing swing I've ever seen a minor league player take. I should also mention that it was about 40 degrees out at the time. Not that it's evidence of anything per se, but I feel his plate approach is way more advanced than Soler was at this stage in his development and that the comparisons aren't really fair to Jimenez. 50/50 chance I'll go to Midland tonight for the low-A debut of Oscar de la Cruz.
Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.
Finished the night 4-5, with two doubles - 32(!) on the season - along with the grand slam. Sick
Meanwhile, out West:
SF is 2-11 since the break, lead over LA is down to one game, and they are running out Cain and Peavy this weekend against the Nats. Challenging times by the Bay.
Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.
The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).
A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.
Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.
ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)
Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.
Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.
Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
Hope they can sustain it.
Don't sell yourself short, Judge.
I love this team.
Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.
Hey! I remember this team!
The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...
I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!
I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.
Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.
Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.
Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.
I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....