Cubs Win One & Tie the Other at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders belted a two-run home run and Shawon Dunston Jr doubled twice and scored two runs, but Kentrell Hill rifled a game-tying RBI triple in the bottom of the 7th to enable the Giants to avoid defeat on Field #1, while Ian Dickson and three relievers were combining to toss a three-hit shutout as the Cubs blanked the Giants 1-0 in the other game on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning contests (the game on Field #1 was called after seven innings with the score tied 5-5).
Micah Gibbs continued his rehab assignment, catching the shutout on Field #2. He racked-up seven more Plate Appearances today (batting once each inning), going 2-6 with two singles and a walk, and a stolen base. He also threw out a baserunner trying to steal 2nd base. In four EXST games, Gibbs is now 3-17 with seven walks.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 5-3 SH, 2 R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 1-3 (4-1, 1B, SH-FC, 1-3, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, K, P-3, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, 6-3, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, E-6)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Wilfredo Petit, DH-C: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 B, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed baserunner to advance an extra base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. LF Trevor Gretzky - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
X. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-6 (1B, BB, 1B, 4-3, K, 4-3, P-4, SB)
NOTE: Gibbs batted seven times - once each inning
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (L-8, K)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
3. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (1-6-3 DP, 5-3)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K+WP, 1B, CS)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, DH-RF: 0-1 (3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (29 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and breezy, with temperatures 100+
14 in attendance. What's the record for attendance in the fall? I guess I should ask what the record attendance listed is in one of your recaps.
I was there too, with my grown son. This is my miracle year-- I rose to the top of the season ticket list after eight years, completely unexpectedly, and my wonderful wife agreed to put the ticket fee on the emergency credit card. The whole point of course was that the Cubs were going to be good this year, and then for a while, so to get season tickets with the guaranteed shot at the postseason was incredible timing. We got to the remote lot at 4:10 after stopping at Nhu Lan for our usual banh mi sandwiches, only to find the lot full, way earlier than normal.
Wrigley was electric tonite
Not many card fans
Video board was great, they played "there goes my hero" by foos over ryno highlights before he came out. Spectacular
Good times hopefully they win tomorrow but think Lester will beat poopy pants on Wednesday.
Happy 4th anniversary of Theo's signing
Go Cubs !
Yeah. "Goodbye!" is a lame HR call.
I miss Len and JD -- although, driving home from a friend's, WBBM played all 6 HR calls in a row -- and Len got to call the Bryant/Rizzo back-to-back. Very fun.
Lackey has been a beast against us. His stats on 3 days rest, however, not as nice. There is plenty of hope.
And, no dreadlocks grown yet.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
In the wild card game he mentioned that aram started with the Pirates, then played for the Brewers, and now he's back with the Pirates. Uhhhh, missed a step there, guy.
i like ron darling the person, the interview, and the studio desk guy...but him calling a game can lead to some really stupid stuff coming out of his mouth.
If you think these announcers are bad ,the ones doing the Mets vs Dodgers (Ron Darling ,Cal Ripken and someone else)
are worse they did the wildcard game I never knew Joe Jackson and Derrick Fowler played for the Cubs this year you
would think there would be research by them.
Soler's OPS in the NLDS? 3.750.
...and HRs are good.
Theo: "So, let's see...should we put Soler on the post-season roster? Ummmm, yeah, I mean what the hell."
Wow -- if he can bring that focus and plate discipline next year -- yowza! Seems like Manny has really helped him.
1st team hit hit 6HR in a game in the postseason. woo.