Cubs Win One & Tie the Other at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders belted a two-run home run and Shawon Dunston Jr doubled twice and scored two runs, but Kentrell Hill rifled a game-tying RBI triple in the bottom of the 7th to enable the Giants to avoid defeat on Field #1, while Ian Dickson and three relievers were combining to toss a three-hit shutout as the Cubs blanked the Giants 1-0 in the other game on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning contests (the game on Field #1 was called after seven innings with the score tied 5-5).
Micah Gibbs continued his rehab assignment, catching the shutout on Field #2. He racked-up seven more Plate Appearances today (batting once each inning), going 2-6 with two singles and a walk, and a stolen base. He also threw out a baserunner trying to steal 2nd base. In four EXST games, Gibbs is now 3-17 with seven walks.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 5-3 SH, 2 R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 1-3 (4-1, 1B, SH-FC, 1-3, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, K, P-3, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, 6-3, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, E-6)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Wilfredo Petit, DH-C: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 B, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed baserunner to advance an extra base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. LF Trevor Gretzky - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
X. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-6 (1B, BB, 1B, 4-3, K, 4-3, P-4, SB)
NOTE: Gibbs batted seven times - once each inning
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (L-8, K)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
3. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (1-6-3 DP, 5-3)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K+WP, 1B, CS)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, DH-RF: 0-1 (3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (29 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and breezy, with temperatures 100+
And stay off the keyboard too
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.
"cramping in right hamstring" according to the booth.
btw, it was his left hamstring that was injured last year.
hammel is injured and done..."leg cramp" or some other leg issue...was down behind the mound coming back from commercial and seemed to have injured himself warming up on the mound between innings.
heyward with a bit of starlin castro disease...you're great D dude, but you can't range 200ft in all directions even if you're playing CF.
that said, he almost had it...though zobrist or baez should have had it if heyward wasn't coming on at 100mph.
hammel is quite wild today even if he got the first 2 outs on Ks that were result of swinging through stuff not in the zone.
she did fine, fwiw.
bombs were bursting in the air...ramparts were watched...all that stuff.
zoobrest kissed her afterwards and got about 20lbs of the 100lbs of makeup she was wearing on him.
Cards still haven't been punished for hacking, "unlikely" to happen before June draft. http://bit.ly/1U8sEYL
i'd settle for him knocking it out the park...not settle, prefer...yeah.
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.