Cubs Win One & Tie the Other at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders belted a two-run home run and Shawon Dunston Jr doubled twice and scored two runs, but Kentrell Hill rifled a game-tying RBI triple in the bottom of the 7th to enable the Giants to avoid defeat on Field #1, while Ian Dickson and three relievers were combining to toss a three-hit shutout as the Cubs blanked the Giants 1-0 in the other game on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning contests (the game on Field #1 was called after seven innings with the score tied 5-5).
Micah Gibbs continued his rehab assignment, catching the shutout on Field #2. He racked-up seven more Plate Appearances today (batting once each inning), going 2-6 with two singles and a walk, and a stolen base. He also threw out a baserunner trying to steal 2nd base. In four EXST games, Gibbs is now 3-17 with seven walks.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 5-3 SH, 2 R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 1-3 (4-1, 1B, SH-FC, 1-3, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, K, P-3, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, 6-3, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, E-6)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Wilfredo Petit, DH-C: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 B, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed baserunner to advance an extra base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. LF Trevor Gretzky - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
X. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-6 (1B, BB, 1B, 4-3, K, 4-3, P-4, SB)
NOTE: Gibbs batted seven times - once each inning
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (L-8, K)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
3. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (1-6-3 DP, 5-3)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K+WP, 1B, CS)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, DH-RF: 0-1 (3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (29 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and breezy, with temperatures 100+
Friday's games will be in Washington, Chicago, Arlington, and Cleveland or Boston. Someone's game is starting laaaaaaaate - 50-50 chance it's the CDT Cubs.
Meh, I messed that up. Mets are in.
Cards and Giants can still tie though.
Kershaw gets hurt by his defense and gave up 2 more runs. Blach has 8 shutout innings.
Mets already won as did Cards.
tomorrow is gonna be helluva fun if Giants hold on. We're all rooting for a 3-way tie I presume.
good news is now 5 K's for Lester through 4 (in a quest for 200 for season). Bad news is he's already at 86 pitches.
be curious how long Maddon sticks with Lester to try and let offense get back into it and get him the win (4-2 as I type, was 4-0)
Fwiw, he needed 2.1 IP to cross 200 for season so he got that at least. He also needs 9 K's for 200K's on season and he has 4 through 3.
cubs score 2 runs thanks to predictable reds pitching and horrible CIN defense...cubs only down by 1 now. heyward even got a gift 2rbi double out of an easy popout. neat.
something named Ty Blach has outpitched Clayton Kershaw through 6 innings (1-0 Giants).
not that finishing 2nd place will matter much nor did this game, but have to think if Hendricks pitches well tomorrow, he could leapfrog Lester in Cy Young voting. Don't see anyway Scherzer doesn't win it regardless and it doesnt' look like Lester has any incentive clauses that matter. Also might give Cueto some votes.
Rather remarkable how many teams have really good 1-2 options this year.
Nats: Scherzer and Roark (and Strasburg was great before injuries)
Cubs: Lester and Hendricks (and Arrietta is still damn good just not as consistently lately)
pretty much what I'm gathering from this thread is that it doesn't matter who you play in 5-game series, but no one wants to have to deal with Cardinal fans if we end up losing.
I can respect that.
first game for lester giving up more than 2 runs since july 24th. hell of a run.
doh, yes...dunno what happened there. jake arrieta is all "bro wut?"
lester going for #20...cubs haven't had a LH (thanks jpep for the correction) 20 game winner since d.ellsworth in 1963.
fwiw, all the games are free on mlb.tv
Short rest for MadBum would be 2 days. WC game is Wed., Games 1 & 2 are Friday/Saturday.
A left-handed one...
J-Hey not finishing with an offensive onslaught.
If Geoff Blum could be a Playoff hero, there is hope still...