Cubs Win One & Tie the Other at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders belted a two-run home run and Shawon Dunston Jr doubled twice and scored two runs, but Kentrell Hill rifled a game-tying RBI triple in the bottom of the 7th to enable the Giants to avoid defeat on Field #1, while Ian Dickson and three relievers were combining to toss a three-hit shutout as the Cubs blanked the Giants 1-0 in the other game on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning contests (the game on Field #1 was called after seven innings with the score tied 5-5).
Micah Gibbs continued his rehab assignment, catching the shutout on Field #2. He racked-up seven more Plate Appearances today (batting once each inning), going 2-6 with two singles and a walk, and a stolen base. He also threw out a baserunner trying to steal 2nd base. In four EXST games, Gibbs is now 3-17 with seven walks.
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (2B, K, 2B, 5-3 SH, 2 R)
2. Eduardo Gonzalez, DH #1: 1-3 (4-1, 1B, SH-FC, 1-3, R, RBI, 2 SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, C-DH: 1-3 (3B, K, P-3, R)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-3 (K, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
6. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-7, F-8)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, 6-3, SB)
9. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-2 (BB, K, E-6)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Wilfredo Petit, DH-C: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (14 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 B, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 HR, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (12 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 2:
1. 3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed baserunner to advance an extra base – eventually scored unearned run)
2. LF Trevor Gretzky - E-7 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
X. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-6 (1B, BB, 1B, 4-3, K, 4-3, P-4, SB)
NOTE: Gibbs batted seven times - once each inning
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-2 (L-8, K)
2. Javier Baez, SS: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
3. Xavier Batista, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, 6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-2 (1-6-3 DP, 5-3)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
7. Neftali Rosario, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-2 (K+WP, 1B, CS)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, DH-RF: 0-1 (3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (29 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Daniel Adrian: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and breezy, with temperatures 100+
Classic ending, about 12:11 AM, CST. 5 hours, 3 minutes. Both teams have bases loaded, no out situations in the last inning.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Maddon's master plan to challenge his offense to improve on coming from behind late in games is working amazingly.
Everyone remember Starlin Castro dropping or misplaying just about every ball near second base that involved a tag?
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
on the wild pitch thing, did they really call that a wild pitch on Jansen that Heyward scored on Friday? If so, I don't know what a passed ball is anymore.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
@BNightengale: Former #MLB pitcher Dan Haren will be throwing to Tim Tebow tomorrow during his tryout in LA, he announced.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
@ithrow88 Oh and memo to my agent, @bvanwagenen: Pitching to Tim Tebow tomorrow DOES NOT count as getting me a real job offer.
I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
the factual correction on your mistakes on your post that I barely bothered to read the first time because it had nothing to do with anything I wanted to talk about is indeed a sign of my degenerative brain condition. I appreciate the safety tip and will be looking into with extreme urgency now.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?
Fwiw, Billy Hamilton's actual WAR numbers that relate to the ones that I posted for Mike Trout are:
- 2014: 2.5
- 2015: 1.0
- 2016: 2.6
But by all means #crunchsplain on the stupidity of WAR while exaggerating your points. I can't wait to read more.