Cub Bats Rock Fitch Park
Javier Baez (solo HR and a two-run single), Jeimer Candelario (two-run triple and an RBI single), and Danny Lockhart (two-run single and an RBI single) drove-in three runs a piece, Xavier Batista doubled twice, singled, and scored a run, and Micah Gibbs reached base four times on two singles and two walks and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 11-3 thumping of the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
On the AAA Iowa Cubs Disabled List since April 19th with back issues, veteran LHRP Ryan Rowland-Smith made a rehab appearance in today’s game, throwing an 11-pitch 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) and an infield pop out. He looks like he’s ready to return to the I-Cubs bullpen.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 2B Gioskar Amaya has returned from his three-day stint with the Iowa Cubs in Sacramento, where the 19-year old had a pinch-hit double yesterday. Amaya was in the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing 2B and going 0-3 with two walks and a run scored. (Amaya leads the EXST Cubs in walks with 12).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, P-4, F-9)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3, BB, BB, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (HR, K, K, 1B, E-8, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 1B, R)
4a. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 0-2 (P-4, 3-U)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-3 (4-3, BB, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, PO)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 2-5 (F-8, 1B, P-5, 1B, 4-6 FC, 2 R, RBI)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (4-3, K, 1B, K, R)
8. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-3 (4-3, 3B, SH-E5, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
9b. Eduardo Gonzalez, PH-LF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, F-8, R)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, K, F-7)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 PO, 47 pitches (31 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Ryan Rowland-Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Javier Castro: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2:
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
2. P Jose Arias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Trey Martin - threw out runner 8-5 trying to advance an extra base on overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and VERY breezy with 100+ temperatures
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.
This site is as dead as the team.
AL pitcher hits a home run for a 1-0 lead. There goes perspective
Here are the ERAs for the last five starting pitchers:
At what point does the manager note it's not the "other pitcher"?
And why does he start Montero in the middle of a downturn?
Some perspective (mostly for my own benefit): Dan Straily beat MadBum 2-1 today as the Reds took 2 of 3 in SF. Giants are 2-9 since the break and their lead over LA is down to 2.5 games. So, yeah...baseball. It'll drive ya nuts.
McNutt / Archer didn't work out well for us.
The floor is more valuable than the ceiling. It's the same reason we drafted Kris Bryant instead of Jon Gray.
Apparently the Yankees had the choice of either Gleyber Torres or Eloy Jimenez in the Chapman deal, and they chose Torres.