Cub Bats Rock Fitch Park
Javier Baez (solo HR and a two-run single), Jeimer Candelario (two-run triple and an RBI single), and Danny Lockhart (two-run single and an RBI single) drove-in three runs a piece, Xavier Batista doubled twice, singled, and scored a run, and Micah Gibbs reached base four times on two singles and two walks and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 11-3 thumping of the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
On the AAA Iowa Cubs Disabled List since April 19th with back issues, veteran LHRP Ryan Rowland-Smith made a rehab appearance in today’s game, throwing an 11-pitch 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) and an infield pop out. He looks like he’s ready to return to the I-Cubs bullpen.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 2B Gioskar Amaya has returned from his three-day stint with the Iowa Cubs in Sacramento, where the 19-year old had a pinch-hit double yesterday. Amaya was in the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing 2B and going 0-3 with two walks and a run scored. (Amaya leads the EXST Cubs in walks with 12).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, P-4, F-9)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3, BB, BB, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (HR, K, K, 1B, E-8, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 1B, R)
4a. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 0-2 (P-4, 3-U)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-3 (4-3, BB, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, PO)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 2-5 (F-8, 1B, P-5, 1B, 4-6 FC, 2 R, RBI)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (4-3, K, 1B, K, R)
8. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-3 (4-3, 3B, SH-E5, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
9b. Eduardo Gonzalez, PH-LF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, F-8, R)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, K, F-7)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 PO, 47 pitches (31 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Ryan Rowland-Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Javier Castro: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2:
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
2. P Jose Arias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Trey Martin - threw out runner 8-5 trying to advance an extra base on overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and VERY breezy with 100+ temperatures
Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.
Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.
I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.
The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.