Cub Bats Rock Fitch Park
Javier Baez (solo HR and a two-run single), Jeimer Candelario (two-run triple and an RBI single), and Danny Lockhart (two-run single and an RBI single) drove-in three runs a piece, Xavier Batista doubled twice, singled, and scored a run, and Micah Gibbs reached base four times on two singles and two walks and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 11-3 thumping of the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
On the AAA Iowa Cubs Disabled List since April 19th with back issues, veteran LHRP Ryan Rowland-Smith made a rehab appearance in today’s game, throwing an 11-pitch 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) and an infield pop out. He looks like he’s ready to return to the I-Cubs bullpen.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 2B Gioskar Amaya has returned from his three-day stint with the Iowa Cubs in Sacramento, where the 19-year old had a pinch-hit double yesterday. Amaya was in the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing 2B and going 0-3 with two walks and a run scored. (Amaya leads the EXST Cubs in walks with 12).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, P-4, F-9)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3, BB, BB, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (HR, K, K, 1B, E-8, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 1B, R)
4a. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 0-2 (P-4, 3-U)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-3 (4-3, BB, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, PO)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 2-5 (F-8, 1B, P-5, 1B, 4-6 FC, 2 R, RBI)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (4-3, K, 1B, K, R)
8. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-3 (4-3, 3B, SH-E5, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
9b. Eduardo Gonzalez, PH-LF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, F-8, R)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, K, F-7)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 PO, 47 pitches (31 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Ryan Rowland-Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Javier Castro: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2:
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
2. P Jose Arias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Trey Martin - threw out runner 8-5 trying to advance an extra base on overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and VERY breezy with 100+ temperatures
Everytime I recall Szcur's bne marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.