Cub Bats Rock Fitch Park
Javier Baez (solo HR and a two-run single), Jeimer Candelario (two-run triple and an RBI single), and Danny Lockhart (two-run single and an RBI single) drove-in three runs a piece, Xavier Batista doubled twice, singled, and scored a run, and Micah Gibbs reached base four times on two singles and two walks and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 11-3 thumping of the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
On the AAA Iowa Cubs Disabled List since April 19th with back issues, veteran LHRP Ryan Rowland-Smith made a rehab appearance in today’s game, throwing an 11-pitch 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) and an infield pop out. He looks like he’s ready to return to the I-Cubs bullpen.
In EXST Cubs roster news, 2B Gioskar Amaya has returned from his three-day stint with the Iowa Cubs in Sacramento, where the 19-year old had a pinch-hit double yesterday. Amaya was in the EXST Cubs lineup today, playing 2B and going 0-3 with two walks and a run scored. (Amaya leads the EXST Cubs in walks with 12).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, P-4, F-9)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3, BB, BB, R)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 2-5 (HR, K, K, 1B, E-8, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF-DH: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 1B, R)
4a. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 0-2 (P-4, 3-U)
5. Micah Gibbs, C: 2-3 (4-3, BB, BB, 1B, 1B, 2 R, PO)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B-DH: 2-5 (F-8, 1B, P-5, 1B, 4-6 FC, 2 R, RBI)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH-1B: 1-4 (4-3, K, 1B, K, R)
8. Jeimer Candelario, 3B-DH: 2-3 (4-3, 3B, SH-E5, 1B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Neftali Rosario, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
9b. Eduardo Gonzalez, PH-LF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, F-8, R)
10. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, K, F-7)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, 3 RBI, SB)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1 PO, 47 pitches (31 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Ryan Rowland-Smith: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Augusto Colina: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
4. Rafael Diplan: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 41 pitches (21 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. Javier Castro: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2:
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
2. P Jose Arias - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Micah Gibbs: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Trey Martin - threw out runner 8-5 trying to advance an extra base on overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and VERY breezy with 100+ temperatures
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Not an inspired outing by Rondon. Seemingly got ahead of every hitter but had no swing and miss pitch today, slider had no bite.
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
And right on cue he throws to third with no chance to get runner on 2nd so the batter takes 2nd easily. How long has he been playing baseball??
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
he's staying in the game, though he's wringing his hand out during breaks in the action. aside from that he seems to have no issue giving signs or tossing back to the pitcher.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.