Cubs & Giants Leave Things Tied at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders drilled an RBI double and scored a run to highlight a two-run Cub 1st inning, and Rob Whitenack (2011 TJS rehab) threw five innings (60 pitches) of one-run ball, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #4 in Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called after nine innings with the scored tied 2-2.
Over his last five games, Shoulders is hitting 333/444/733, with three doubles and a HR, three walks, and six RBI. He has also struck out seven times and grounded into a DP over that five-game span, but it's still his best multi-game stretch as a pro.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Micah Gibbs has completed his Extended Spring Training rehab assignment and is headed for Daytona. In five EXST games (29 PA), Gibbs went 5-20 with nine walks. He also struck out twice, stole two bases, and scored six runs. He threw out one base-stealer (33% CS).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (F-9, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, L-1, R, SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-9, 2B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3, RBI)
6. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, 4-3)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, L-7)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (6-3, F-9, 1-3)
9a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
9b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-1 (K)
10a. Brian Inoa, DH #3: 0-1 (4-3)
10b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (3-1)
11. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
1. Rob Whitenack: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 60 pitches (44 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (31 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on infield single allowed runner to score from 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good
My guy Addy
Vin and '84 legends
been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.