Cubs & Giants Leave Things Tied at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders drilled an RBI double and scored a run to highlight a two-run Cub 1st inning, and Rob Whitenack (2011 TJS rehab) threw five innings (60 pitches) of one-run ball, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #4 in Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called after nine innings with the scored tied 2-2.
Over his last five games, Shoulders is hitting 333/444/733, with three doubles and a HR, three walks, and six RBI. He has also struck out seven times and grounded into a DP over that five-game span, but it's still his best multi-game stretch as a pro.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Micah Gibbs has completed his Extended Spring Training rehab assignment and is headed for Daytona. In five EXST games (29 PA), Gibbs went 5-20 with nine walks. He also struck out twice, stole two bases, and scored six runs. He threw out one base-stealer (33% CS).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (F-9, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, L-1, R, SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-9, 2B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3, RBI)
6. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, 4-3)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, L-7)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (6-3, F-9, 1-3)
9a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
9b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-1 (K)
10a. Brian Inoa, DH #3: 0-1 (4-3)
10b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (3-1)
11. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
1. Rob Whitenack: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 60 pitches (44 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (31 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on infield single allowed runner to score from 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
One more victory to ensure a winning season!
If I were a betting man
Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
Monty on mound.
Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo
/Prove me wrong
So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?
TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.
Can't have everything, I guess.
Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.
Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...
Here's some defensive numbers:
- Crawford (22.2)
- Seager (16.9)
- Cozart (14.2)
- Hechavarria (13.5)
- Russell (12.4)
- B. Crawford 2.3
- Russell 2.0
- Hechavarria 1.7
- N. Ahmed 1.6
- Z. Cozart 1.5
13.C. Seager 0.7
.978 FP, 11 E, 333 A, 162 PO, 562 Chances, 4.27 RF, 72 DP Turned
Favorite Genesis video
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.