Cubs & Giants Leave Things Tied at Indian School Park
Rock Shoulders drilled an RBI double and scored a run to highlight a two-run Cub 1st inning, and Rob Whitenack (2011 TJS rehab) threw five innings (60 pitches) of one-run ball, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #4 in Scottsdale, AZ.
The game was called after nine innings with the scored tied 2-2.
Over his last five games, Shoulders is hitting 333/444/733, with three doubles and a HR, three walks, and six RBI. He has also struck out seven times and grounded into a DP over that five-game span, but it's still his best multi-game stretch as a pro.
In EXST Cubs roster news, catcher Micah Gibbs has completed his Extended Spring Training rehab assignment and is headed for Daytona. In five EXST games (29 PA), Gibbs went 5-20 with nine walks. He also struck out twice, stole two bases, and scored six runs. He threw out one base-stealer (33% CS).
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (F-9, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, L-1, R, SB)
3. Wilson Contreras, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-9, 2B)
4. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3, RBI)
6. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (L-4, 2B, 4-3)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (F-8, 6-3, L-7)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-3 (6-3, F-9, 1-3)
9a. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
9b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-1 (K)
10a. Brian Inoa, DH #3: 0-1 (4-3)
10b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (3-1)
11. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 0-2 (5-3, 6-3)
1. Rob Whitenack: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 60 pitches (44 strikes), 8/2 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 42 pitches (31 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 9 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on infield single allowed runner to score from 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.