Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because It Happened.

Click on the image for the video.

Tags:

Comments

nice.

...for those that may want a version that's easier to archive or view outside of a browser window.

btw, the reason you don't hear bob in the clip is he was choked up/etc.

kerry got to go out in style and on his own terms...seemingly too rare.

[email protected] paraphrasing ... tough to grind everyday for hours to get ready to throw 15 pitches and not get job done, not bounce back quickly

....just time, wasn't bouncing back and putting teammates in bad situation.

...didn't want last inning to be him throwing glove into seats

...will be around the organization hopefully

...fondest memories are Game 7 HR, Game 5 win and pitching against Maddux in '98 playoffs.

1380 IP
1083 H
666 BB
1582 K (10.3 K/9, 2nd behind R.Johnson)
3.67 ERA
1.27 WHIP

86-75 W/L, 63 saves

Third-rate Mariotti.

I love the tag at the end of his print column: "Want more Rosenbloom? Who wouldn't?"

No fucking one.

he's a total "bro" born 20 years too soon.

that pretty much makes him a creepy douche at his age...for quite a while.

"I’ll hang up and listen for the hummena-hummena-hummena."

I have no idea what that quote even means. Isn't that the sound Ralph Kramden makes when Norton is doing him in Eddie Murphy Delirious?

Too right handed

That made me profoundly sad. Thanks.

None of those guys except for Zambrano were the same after that season. What a damn shame really.

Wood and Todd Hundley in 2001 at spring training

"It's a silver flask...it's engraved Todd on it, last saw it in my locker."

That's the spirit.

Joe Posnansnki on Kerry

Life usually doesn’t work out the way you hoped or planned. All you can do is keep on going, and if you are tough enough and a little bit lucky you can get a few things done. And if you are even luckier, maybe, just maybe, you can strike out the last batter you face.

"In that game on Friday he faced one batter: a left fielder named Dayan Viciedo, who was a nine-year-old living in Cuba when Kerry Wood struck out 20 and was unlimited."

some quotes from Wood after the game

Very fitting headline, Rob. Thank you.

I just saw all this, started reading articles, and wept. Kerry Wood has been my favorite Cub for quite awhile, for a lot of reasons. But like a few of you have said, it's because he's been here with me, living and dying with each win and loss, for a long time.

I'm early 30s (well, 35) like some of you were saying. I remember being pissed when Maddux and Grace weren't brought back, and secretly happy when Gracie won his ring, albeit wearing somebody else's clothes.

And when Kerry left, I was pissed too, but it somehow seemed okay. Sure, he's going to the AL for a minute; hell, to be honest, it just seemed like one of the long DL trips that plagued him.

He and Prior were going to get us over the hump, and almost did in '03. But somehow it was "Glass Joe" Prior's fault; not Kid K, he just kept heading to the mound.

I'll miss him on the field, but not as a Cub. Kerry Wood will be a Cub forever.

PS Fuck Steve Rosenbloom

PPS Fuck Sammy's Boombox

PPPS Is Zonk's job safe at this point??

Glad I was there, and I was glad I had my sunglasses on.

Anyone else surprised the city is allowing a night game tonight? Wrigleyville's going to be a fucking disaster. It was filled with drunken zombies last night at 7:00, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like after people have all day to get smashed before the game.

Hellish day yesterday, woke up this morning not even knowing who won the Cubs-Sox game. Now when I see what I missed, it makes me very sad.

Thanks for everything, Woody.

A good rundown of Kerry's career highlights

"I can't shake the feeling that he is going to get hurt. He was overused in high school, and has already had elbow trouble in the pros."

throwing nearly 300 pitches over the course of 3 days is a bad idea for a highschool pitcher?

odd.

there's still "abusive" highschool coaches out there...letting kids air out 150 pitches in a game with 100 sliders/curves. that's not skill...that's taking advantage of kids who can't see offspeed stuff and never will because they're not going to be pros.

• Chapman shouldn't be reserved anymore on 40 man.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 26 min ago view
  • Interesting split on Heyward according to ESPN. As a CF, his slash line .292/.363/.375/.738. At RF: .212/.204/.300/.604. 21/72 as a CF, 58/273 as a RF.

He's also been better when batting 2nd, but he had a nice start in the 6 hole, but has slumped ever since. He was heating up before the All Star break, but is only hitting .108 in the 2nd half.

chitownmvp01 3 hours 34 min ago view
  • When we played the Reds with Chapman, I always thought of it as an eight-inning game. So now other teams have eight innings to try to get a lead against the Cubs. Should be a challenge, assuming three or four Cubs ever start hitting again.

I don't really try to get to know and like these players personally. I'm rooting for laundry, for the most part. Exceptions might be when a player makes trouble in the clubhouse or in the dugout. (Zambrano and Bradley come to mind. Also Papelbon.) But I don't think Chapman is one of those jerks.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 7 min ago view
  • Unfortunately, a pretty good summary. It looks like next year Heyward will be getting yet another batting stance adjustment.

The recent good news has been Baez. I'm afraid about the next league adjustment on him, though, which is probably right around the corner.

Bryant I don't worry about too much. Just not seeing the ball well right now. He'll turn it around. Russell's been good with men in scoring position all year and he's 22ish. He'll be fine but next year is likely to be his breakout year.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 19 hours 34 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 19 hours 50 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

Charlie 1 day 1 hour ago view
  • The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 1 day 1 hour ago view