Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because It Happened.

Click on the image for the video.

Tags:

Comments

nice.

...for those that may want a version that's easier to archive or view outside of a browser window.

btw, the reason you don't hear bob in the clip is he was choked up/etc.

kerry got to go out in style and on his own terms...seemingly too rare.

[email protected] paraphrasing ... tough to grind everyday for hours to get ready to throw 15 pitches and not get job done, not bounce back quickly

....just time, wasn't bouncing back and putting teammates in bad situation.

...didn't want last inning to be him throwing glove into seats

...will be around the organization hopefully

...fondest memories are Game 7 HR, Game 5 win and pitching against Maddux in '98 playoffs.

1380 IP
1083 H
666 BB
1582 K (10.3 K/9, 2nd behind R.Johnson)
3.67 ERA
1.27 WHIP

86-75 W/L, 63 saves

Third-rate Mariotti.

I love the tag at the end of his print column: "Want more Rosenbloom? Who wouldn't?"

No fucking one.

he's a total "bro" born 20 years too soon.

that pretty much makes him a creepy douche at his age...for quite a while.

"I’ll hang up and listen for the hummena-hummena-hummena."

I have no idea what that quote even means. Isn't that the sound Ralph Kramden makes when Norton is doing him in Eddie Murphy Delirious?

Too right handed

That made me profoundly sad. Thanks.

None of those guys except for Zambrano were the same after that season. What a damn shame really.

Wood and Todd Hundley in 2001 at spring training

"It's a silver flask...it's engraved Todd on it, last saw it in my locker."

That's the spirit.

Joe Posnansnki on Kerry

Life usually doesn’t work out the way you hoped or planned. All you can do is keep on going, and if you are tough enough and a little bit lucky you can get a few things done. And if you are even luckier, maybe, just maybe, you can strike out the last batter you face.

"In that game on Friday he faced one batter: a left fielder named Dayan Viciedo, who was a nine-year-old living in Cuba when Kerry Wood struck out 20 and was unlimited."

some quotes from Wood after the game

Very fitting headline, Rob. Thank you.

I just saw all this, started reading articles, and wept. Kerry Wood has been my favorite Cub for quite awhile, for a lot of reasons. But like a few of you have said, it's because he's been here with me, living and dying with each win and loss, for a long time.

I'm early 30s (well, 35) like some of you were saying. I remember being pissed when Maddux and Grace weren't brought back, and secretly happy when Gracie won his ring, albeit wearing somebody else's clothes.

And when Kerry left, I was pissed too, but it somehow seemed okay. Sure, he's going to the AL for a minute; hell, to be honest, it just seemed like one of the long DL trips that plagued him.

He and Prior were going to get us over the hump, and almost did in '03. But somehow it was "Glass Joe" Prior's fault; not Kid K, he just kept heading to the mound.

I'll miss him on the field, but not as a Cub. Kerry Wood will be a Cub forever.

PS Fuck Steve Rosenbloom

PPS Fuck Sammy's Boombox

PPPS Is Zonk's job safe at this point??

Glad I was there, and I was glad I had my sunglasses on.

Anyone else surprised the city is allowing a night game tonight? Wrigleyville's going to be a fucking disaster. It was filled with drunken zombies last night at 7:00, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like after people have all day to get smashed before the game.

Hellish day yesterday, woke up this morning not even knowing who won the Cubs-Sox game. Now when I see what I missed, it makes me very sad.

Thanks for everything, Woody.

A good rundown of Kerry's career highlights

"I can't shake the feeling that he is going to get hurt. He was overused in high school, and has already had elbow trouble in the pros."

throwing nearly 300 pitches over the course of 3 days is a bad idea for a highschool pitcher?

odd.

there's still "abusive" highschool coaches out there...letting kids air out 150 pitches in a game with 100 sliders/curves. that's not skill...that's taking advantage of kids who can't see offspeed stuff and never will because they're not going to be pros.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 3 hours 14 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 3 hours 15 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 3 hours 16 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 3 hours 35 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

• they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 52 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 4 hours 27 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 5 hours 42 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 7 hours 18 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.