Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because It Happened.

Click on the image for the video.

Tags:

Comments

nice.

...for those that may want a version that's easier to archive or view outside of a browser window.

btw, the reason you don't hear bob in the clip is he was choked up/etc.

kerry got to go out in style and on his own terms...seemingly too rare.

‏@harrypav paraphrasing ... tough to grind everyday for hours to get ready to throw 15 pitches and not get job done, not bounce back quickly

....just time, wasn't bouncing back and putting teammates in bad situation.

...didn't want last inning to be him throwing glove into seats

...will be around the organization hopefully

...fondest memories are Game 7 HR, Game 5 win and pitching against Maddux in '98 playoffs.

1380 IP
1083 H
666 BB
1582 K (10.3 K/9, 2nd behind R.Johnson)
3.67 ERA
1.27 WHIP

86-75 W/L, 63 saves

Third-rate Mariotti.

I love the tag at the end of his print column: "Want more Rosenbloom? Who wouldn't?"

No fucking one.

he's a total "bro" born 20 years too soon.

that pretty much makes him a creepy douche at his age...for quite a while.

"I’ll hang up and listen for the hummena-hummena-hummena."

I have no idea what that quote even means. Isn't that the sound Ralph Kramden makes when Norton is doing him in Eddie Murphy Delirious?

Too right handed

That made me profoundly sad. Thanks.

None of those guys except for Zambrano were the same after that season. What a damn shame really.

Wood and Todd Hundley in 2001 at spring training

"It's a silver flask...it's engraved Todd on it, last saw it in my locker."

That's the spirit.

Joe Posnansnki on Kerry

Life usually doesn’t work out the way you hoped or planned. All you can do is keep on going, and if you are tough enough and a little bit lucky you can get a few things done. And if you are even luckier, maybe, just maybe, you can strike out the last batter you face.

"In that game on Friday he faced one batter: a left fielder named Dayan Viciedo, who was a nine-year-old living in Cuba when Kerry Wood struck out 20 and was unlimited."

some quotes from Wood after the game

Very fitting headline, Rob. Thank you.

I just saw all this, started reading articles, and wept. Kerry Wood has been my favorite Cub for quite awhile, for a lot of reasons. But like a few of you have said, it's because he's been here with me, living and dying with each win and loss, for a long time.

I'm early 30s (well, 35) like some of you were saying. I remember being pissed when Maddux and Grace weren't brought back, and secretly happy when Gracie won his ring, albeit wearing somebody else's clothes.

And when Kerry left, I was pissed too, but it somehow seemed okay. Sure, he's going to the AL for a minute; hell, to be honest, it just seemed like one of the long DL trips that plagued him.

He and Prior were going to get us over the hump, and almost did in '03. But somehow it was "Glass Joe" Prior's fault; not Kid K, he just kept heading to the mound.

I'll miss him on the field, but not as a Cub. Kerry Wood will be a Cub forever.

PS Fuck Steve Rosenbloom

PPS Fuck Sammy's Boombox

PPPS Is Zonk's job safe at this point??

Glad I was there, and I was glad I had my sunglasses on.

Anyone else surprised the city is allowing a night game tonight? Wrigleyville's going to be a fucking disaster. It was filled with drunken zombies last night at 7:00, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like after people have all day to get smashed before the game.

Hellish day yesterday, woke up this morning not even knowing who won the Cubs-Sox game. Now when I see what I missed, it makes me very sad.

Thanks for everything, Woody.

A good rundown of Kerry's career highlights

"I can't shake the feeling that he is going to get hurt. He was overused in high school, and has already had elbow trouble in the pros."

throwing nearly 300 pitches over the course of 3 days is a bad idea for a highschool pitcher?

odd.

there's still "abusive" highschool coaches out there...letting kids air out 150 pitches in a game with 100 sliders/curves. that's not skill...that's taking advantage of kids who can't see offspeed stuff and never will because they're not going to be pros.

• I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.

billybucks 1 hour 10 min ago view
  • oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.

poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.

crunch 1 hour 49 min ago view
  • Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)

• Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.

JoePepitone 3 hours 30 min ago view
  • almora's 1st HR!

• it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.

kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.

• It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.

At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.

• he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.

• After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.

Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.

Brick 4 hours 37 min ago view
  • SHOW ME THE MONEY:  Jose Albertos has signed with Mega-Agent Scott Boras.

Albertos has already received his signing bonus and won't see any additional significant money until he reaches the big leagues,  so this is a long-term investment for the Boras Corporation.

Arizona Phil 4 hours 44 min ago view
  • I am glad Joe is managing this team and not Old and Blue!

Hagsag 7 hours 6 min ago view
  • Baez had Maddon's ass last night. I didn't hear the reason for taking Contreras out last night but whatever game management thingy it was, you don't take out your second hottest hitter. Or is he third? Anyway, you don't take him out. The guy can probably play anywhere in the field, anyway. Did anybody see that nice catch in left he made? I don't think he got a late start on that, just tracked it damn well for a catcher.

• Per Fangraphs...

Bryant took over NL lead in WAR after yesterday's effort. 3.9. Rizzo's at 2.8 and 8th in the league. Rizzo actually with better offensive numbers (161 wRC+ versus 146 for Bryant), but Bryant gets a good bump because of defense and position(s) played.

Fowler with a 2.8 WAR as well (9th), Zobrist with a 2.7 (14th).

M. Carpenter leads NL with 163 wRC+ just ahead of Rizzo who is 2nd.

• Amen

jacos 16 hours 41 min ago view
  • @jonahkeri Joe Maddon living out Joe Maddon fanfic IRL tonight

• yes. I was at the Sean Marshall game in LF. Lou Piniella was managing. StL won 4-2, so I guess it didn't help but it was zany. Soriano/Reed Johnson and Marshall were the LF's.

7-12-09

On a 6 degrees of separation note: Cubs got Travis Wood in the trade that sent Sean Marshall to Cincy.

Cubster 17 hours 11 min ago view