Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because It Happened.

Click on the image for the video.

Tags:

Comments

nice.

...for those that may want a version that's easier to archive or view outside of a browser window.

btw, the reason you don't hear bob in the clip is he was choked up/etc.

kerry got to go out in style and on his own terms...seemingly too rare.

[email protected] paraphrasing ... tough to grind everyday for hours to get ready to throw 15 pitches and not get job done, not bounce back quickly

....just time, wasn't bouncing back and putting teammates in bad situation.

...didn't want last inning to be him throwing glove into seats

...will be around the organization hopefully

...fondest memories are Game 7 HR, Game 5 win and pitching against Maddux in '98 playoffs.

1380 IP
1083 H
666 BB
1582 K (10.3 K/9, 2nd behind R.Johnson)
3.67 ERA
1.27 WHIP

86-75 W/L, 63 saves

Third-rate Mariotti.

I love the tag at the end of his print column: "Want more Rosenbloom? Who wouldn't?"

No fucking one.

he's a total "bro" born 20 years too soon.

that pretty much makes him a creepy douche at his age...for quite a while.

"I’ll hang up and listen for the hummena-hummena-hummena."

I have no idea what that quote even means. Isn't that the sound Ralph Kramden makes when Norton is doing him in Eddie Murphy Delirious?

Too right handed

That made me profoundly sad. Thanks.

None of those guys except for Zambrano were the same after that season. What a damn shame really.

Wood and Todd Hundley in 2001 at spring training

"It's a silver flask...it's engraved Todd on it, last saw it in my locker."

That's the spirit.

Joe Posnansnki on Kerry

Life usually doesn’t work out the way you hoped or planned. All you can do is keep on going, and if you are tough enough and a little bit lucky you can get a few things done. And if you are even luckier, maybe, just maybe, you can strike out the last batter you face.

"In that game on Friday he faced one batter: a left fielder named Dayan Viciedo, who was a nine-year-old living in Cuba when Kerry Wood struck out 20 and was unlimited."

some quotes from Wood after the game

Very fitting headline, Rob. Thank you.

I just saw all this, started reading articles, and wept. Kerry Wood has been my favorite Cub for quite awhile, for a lot of reasons. But like a few of you have said, it's because he's been here with me, living and dying with each win and loss, for a long time.

I'm early 30s (well, 35) like some of you were saying. I remember being pissed when Maddux and Grace weren't brought back, and secretly happy when Gracie won his ring, albeit wearing somebody else's clothes.

And when Kerry left, I was pissed too, but it somehow seemed okay. Sure, he's going to the AL for a minute; hell, to be honest, it just seemed like one of the long DL trips that plagued him.

He and Prior were going to get us over the hump, and almost did in '03. But somehow it was "Glass Joe" Prior's fault; not Kid K, he just kept heading to the mound.

I'll miss him on the field, but not as a Cub. Kerry Wood will be a Cub forever.

PS Fuck Steve Rosenbloom

PPS Fuck Sammy's Boombox

PPPS Is Zonk's job safe at this point??

Glad I was there, and I was glad I had my sunglasses on.

Anyone else surprised the city is allowing a night game tonight? Wrigleyville's going to be a fucking disaster. It was filled with drunken zombies last night at 7:00, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like after people have all day to get smashed before the game.

Hellish day yesterday, woke up this morning not even knowing who won the Cubs-Sox game. Now when I see what I missed, it makes me very sad.

Thanks for everything, Woody.

A good rundown of Kerry's career highlights

"I can't shake the feeling that he is going to get hurt. He was overused in high school, and has already had elbow trouble in the pros."

throwing nearly 300 pitches over the course of 3 days is a bad idea for a highschool pitcher?

odd.

there's still "abusive" highschool coaches out there...letting kids air out 150 pitches in a game with 100 sliders/curves. that's not skill...that's taking advantage of kids who can't see offspeed stuff and never will because they're not going to be pros.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 7 hours 8 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 7 hours 36 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 15 hours 5 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 6 hours ago view