Don't Cry Because It's Over. Smile Because It Happened.

Click on the image for the video.

Tags:

Comments

nice.

...for those that may want a version that's easier to archive or view outside of a browser window.

btw, the reason you don't hear bob in the clip is he was choked up/etc.

kerry got to go out in style and on his own terms...seemingly too rare.

[email protected] paraphrasing ... tough to grind everyday for hours to get ready to throw 15 pitches and not get job done, not bounce back quickly

....just time, wasn't bouncing back and putting teammates in bad situation.

...didn't want last inning to be him throwing glove into seats

...will be around the organization hopefully

...fondest memories are Game 7 HR, Game 5 win and pitching against Maddux in '98 playoffs.

1380 IP
1083 H
666 BB
1582 K (10.3 K/9, 2nd behind R.Johnson)
3.67 ERA
1.27 WHIP

86-75 W/L, 63 saves

Third-rate Mariotti.

I love the tag at the end of his print column: "Want more Rosenbloom? Who wouldn't?"

No fucking one.

he's a total "bro" born 20 years too soon.

that pretty much makes him a creepy douche at his age...for quite a while.

"I’ll hang up and listen for the hummena-hummena-hummena."

I have no idea what that quote even means. Isn't that the sound Ralph Kramden makes when Norton is doing him in Eddie Murphy Delirious?

Too right handed

That made me profoundly sad. Thanks.

None of those guys except for Zambrano were the same after that season. What a damn shame really.

Wood and Todd Hundley in 2001 at spring training

"It's a silver flask...it's engraved Todd on it, last saw it in my locker."

That's the spirit.

Joe Posnansnki on Kerry

Life usually doesn’t work out the way you hoped or planned. All you can do is keep on going, and if you are tough enough and a little bit lucky you can get a few things done. And if you are even luckier, maybe, just maybe, you can strike out the last batter you face.

"In that game on Friday he faced one batter: a left fielder named Dayan Viciedo, who was a nine-year-old living in Cuba when Kerry Wood struck out 20 and was unlimited."

some quotes from Wood after the game

Very fitting headline, Rob. Thank you.

I just saw all this, started reading articles, and wept. Kerry Wood has been my favorite Cub for quite awhile, for a lot of reasons. But like a few of you have said, it's because he's been here with me, living and dying with each win and loss, for a long time.

I'm early 30s (well, 35) like some of you were saying. I remember being pissed when Maddux and Grace weren't brought back, and secretly happy when Gracie won his ring, albeit wearing somebody else's clothes.

And when Kerry left, I was pissed too, but it somehow seemed okay. Sure, he's going to the AL for a minute; hell, to be honest, it just seemed like one of the long DL trips that plagued him.

He and Prior were going to get us over the hump, and almost did in '03. But somehow it was "Glass Joe" Prior's fault; not Kid K, he just kept heading to the mound.

I'll miss him on the field, but not as a Cub. Kerry Wood will be a Cub forever.

PS Fuck Steve Rosenbloom

PPS Fuck Sammy's Boombox

PPPS Is Zonk's job safe at this point??

Glad I was there, and I was glad I had my sunglasses on.

Anyone else surprised the city is allowing a night game tonight? Wrigleyville's going to be a fucking disaster. It was filled with drunken zombies last night at 7:00, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like after people have all day to get smashed before the game.

Hellish day yesterday, woke up this morning not even knowing who won the Cubs-Sox game. Now when I see what I missed, it makes me very sad.

Thanks for everything, Woody.

A good rundown of Kerry's career highlights

"I can't shake the feeling that he is going to get hurt. He was overused in high school, and has already had elbow trouble in the pros."

throwing nearly 300 pitches over the course of 3 days is a bad idea for a highschool pitcher?

odd.

there's still "abusive" highschool coaches out there...letting kids air out 150 pitches in a game with 100 sliders/curves. that's not skill...that's taking advantage of kids who can't see offspeed stuff and never will because they're not going to be pros.

• crunch 3 hours 32 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 3 hours 32 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 4 hours 5 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 4 hours 29 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 37 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 47 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 6 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.