Cubs & D'backs Split a Pair at T-Stick
Trevor Gretzky singled, doubled, walked, stole a base, scored three runs, and drove-in another, and Danny Lockhart belted an RBI triple to key a five-run 5th, leading the Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the Diamondbacks on Quail Field, and Jeimer Candelario and Xavier Batista each rapped a two-run single and Dustin Geiger laced an RBI double to highlight a five-run 2nd inning, but the D’backs took advantage of four Cub errors (including three errant throws on attempted pick-offs) to score seven unanswered runs en route to a 7-5 victory on Mesquite Field, as the Cubs and Diamondbacks split an Arizona Barbeque Festival Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
3B Dustin Geiger returned to game action today, and hit the ball solidly in all three of his AB.
Geiger was set to be the starting third-baseman at Peoria at the start of the 2012 season, but he suffered a broken hamate bone in his right hand the last day of Minor League Camp, and has spent the past six weeks rehabbing at Fitch Park.
Although it did not lead to a victory for his squad, Trey Martin made two outstanding diving catches in CF in the game on Mesquite Field. He is one of the best defensive outfielders I have seen down here in a long time, and he has made a number of outstanding catches (and throws) from CF at EXST. He's Gold Glove caliber right now.
In what could possibly be described as “EXST Cubs News of the Weird,” 21-year old Korean outfielder Dong-Yub Kim is now throwing left-handed.
DY Kim signed with the Cubs in February 2009, receiving a reported $550K signing bonus (equivalent to “3rd round money”), and made his U. S. debut at AZ Instructs post-2009. At that time he looked like a young Jose Canseco (a 19-year old kid with a combination of speed, HR power, and a rifle-arm), before tearing up his right shoulder and missing the 2010 season. He was limited to playing DH and 1B (and occasionally LF) after returning to action last year, but he has yet to get back to where he was in October 2009 (pre-surgery).
I had noticed him occasionally throwing left-handed when shagging fly balls in BP, but this is the first time he’s thrown left-handed in a game. And he actually throws better left-handed than he does right-handed (post-surgery)!
In EXST Cubs roster news, recently-signed veteran minor league catcher Brian Esposito has been moved-up to AAA Iowa, replacing Blake Lalli on the I-Cubs roster. Esposito played in one EXST game (yesterday) prior to the promotion, and went 0-4 with a walk.
Brian, we hardly knew ye!
Here are the abridged box scores from today’s games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (F-7, 3-U, 2B, K, R, RBI)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3, F-8 SF, 6-3, K, RBI)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (E-1, 6-3, F-8 SF, BB, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-4 (K, 3-U, K, L-4)
5. Brian Inoa, DH #1: 0-3 (K+WP, F-7, K)
6a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-2 (1B, 1-3)
6b. Justin Marra, C: 0-0 (BB)
7. Eduardo Gonzalez, RF: 1-3 (3-2 FC, 1B, K, R)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-3 (K, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 0-2 (4-3, BB, 4-U FC, R)
10. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 2-2 (BB, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI, SB)
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Ian Dickson: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 42 pitches (27 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Ryan Rowland-Smith: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 28 pitches (17 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 17 pitches (11 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1:
3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (6-3, BB, 1-3, K, R)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 1B+E5, 3-U, PO)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, 6-3, 2 SB)
4. Xavier Batista, LF: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, BB, R)
6. Dustin Geiger, 3B-DH: 1-3 (5-3, 2B, 3-U, R, RBI)
7. Jeimer Candelario, DH-3B: 1-3 (F-7, 1B, K, 2 RBI)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (2B, K, K)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, L-9)
10. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, K, R)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Neftali Rosario, DH #3: 0-0 (HBP)
11b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 57 pitches (37 strikes), 4/3 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 24 pitches (12 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Daniel Adrian: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 4
1. P Starling Peralta - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base with bases loaded allowed runner on 3rd to score unearned run)
2. P Starling Peralta - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
3. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (dropped pop fly with two outs allowing batter to reach base safely and baserunner to score unearned run)
4. C Wilson Contreras - E-2 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd base – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Cards already whining
Cardinals look a little road-weary on getaway day http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals//post/_...
-via ESPN http://es.pn/app
dee gordon (MIA) suspended 80 days for PEDs. wow.
"excessive testosterone and Clostebol"
hell of a late-night news flash.
Seems like a bizarre pick -- they moved up 2 spots to pick up a guy who was not dominant in college. According to the talking heads, supposedly a great athlete (but an unpolished football player). So was Alonzo Spellman. And the guy who could jump out of a pool. Bears have missed the playoffs 5 straight years and 8 of the last 9. And they made Marc Trestman an NFL head coach. Maybe they can hire Theo in his free time. Sheesh.
And then the Bears pick an undersized linebacker with very few sacks in his college career and very little ability to shed blocks and the draft becomes less of a joy.
Watching the NFL Draft on ESPN with the mute on is one of the greatest joys in my small life. Being able to not hear Roger Goodell, Chris Berman, Jon Gruden, and Mel Kiper in quick order is just somehow immensely satisfying. I hope by the time the Bears pick they have Steven AAAAAAAAAAAAA Smith and Skip Bayless on so I can not hear them too.
even if the cubs lose feder, he's easily replaceable with a cash/low-end-ptbnl trade...plus, taylor davis is wasting time down in AA and he could pop up to AAA to back up w.conteras.
Tim Federowicz is out of minor league options, so Outright Assignment Waivers would be needed before he can be sent back to Iowa. He also has the right to elect free-agency if outrighted, but he probably wouldn't elect to be a FA if outrighted unless the Cubs shit on him somehow while he's up with the big club (not likely).
But it is possible that another MLB club could claim Federowicz if the Cubs place him on waivers, which would leave Willson Contreras as pretty much the only other option if a catcher goes on the DL again later in the season.
CRAIG: D. J. Wilson is hitting 083/115/167 in six Cactus League EXST games (26 PA), but his K-rate is only 11.5% and he has somehow managed to drive-in five runs along the way (he's tied for second on the team in RBI), so it's not like he's swinging & missing a lot. He does seem to be feeling for the ball a bit, however, which has resulted in too much weak contact and not enough line drives.
Bryant sprained ankle MRI tomorrow
Cubs did a lot of that today: 2-for-17 with RISP.
Man, what an ugly baseball game - Cubs receive 11 walks and Bryant reached twice by HBP, the Brewers pitchers threw almost 200 pitches (199 pitches...in 8 innings!), they even walked Baez (first one of the year), Cubs scored twice when Brewers botched routine DP balls, Cahill walks three guys with a 6-run lead, forcing Maddon to waste Strop, the weather sucked again, etc. Happy with the win, but that was really tough to watch.
"Some of the most racist things I've ever heard have come out of people that are on the air at ESPN," Schilling said Wednesday on "Breitbart News Patriot Forum." He was fired by ESPN last week.
“In the end for me it felt like that rule applied to me and me alone because I was conservative … Bigots are calling me a bigot. A bigot is someone who refuses to accept a different opinion. I will accept anyone’s opinion.”
Rolled scoring on Rizzo double
Re ZOBRIST -
Today's game is what I was referring to re Zobrist and RISP struggles. He did come through with his patented single to drive in a run - but also left the bases loaded, and two men on, no outs (called 3rd).
So, I hope he can pick that part of his game up when they start playing the better teams...
Don't see anything on the replay showing where he rolled it and he played for 2 more innings after so at first glance it so doesn't seem major. Very cold today so any discomfort is probably amplified.
How bad was Bryant's ankle sprain?