Cubs Win One on the Rocks
Yasiel Balaguert singled three times, drove-in a run, and scored another, Sergio Burruel reached base three times on two singles and a walk, scored one run, and knocked-in another, and Dong-Yub Kim doubled twice and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 6-4 victory over the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, F-8, L-8, 1B, R, 2 SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (6-U FC, E-5, 2B, K, RBI)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 2-4 (2B, K, F-9, 2B, 2 R)
7. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 2-3 (P-6, 1B, BB, 1B, R)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, L-1 DP, HBP, 4-6 FC, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-3 (HBP, 1B, 1B, F-8, PO)
10. Justin Marra, DH-C: 0-3 (3-6 FC, BB, 6-3 DP, F-7)
11. Trevor Gretzky, DH-LF: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, 3-1)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 54 pitches (36 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 32 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Daniel Adrian: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory, extending AB)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - threw out batter 8-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.
rain delay...thanks obama.
Thanks again Phil. We actually were in Mesa and drove around. Hopefully, I am back for some Fall League. If not I have all of spring training (like the smart people who move here!)
What Rob G said. I can't speak for Piittsburgh, but the other end of the state has had absolute crap weather for two days. Perfect day to take it easy.
tarp came off 10 minutes ago...let's do this.