Cubs Win One on the Rocks
Yasiel Balaguert singled three times, drove-in a run, and scored another, Sergio Burruel reached base three times on two singles and a walk, scored one run, and knocked-in another, and Dong-Yub Kim doubled twice and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 6-4 victory over the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, F-8, L-8, 1B, R, 2 SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (6-U FC, E-5, 2B, K, RBI)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 2-4 (2B, K, F-9, 2B, 2 R)
7. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 2-3 (P-6, 1B, BB, 1B, R)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, L-1 DP, HBP, 4-6 FC, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-3 (HBP, 1B, 1B, F-8, PO)
10. Justin Marra, DH-C: 0-3 (3-6 FC, BB, 6-3 DP, F-7)
11. Trevor Gretzky, DH-LF: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, 3-1)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 54 pitches (36 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 32 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Daniel Adrian: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory, extending AB)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - threw out batter 8-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
c.richard with another outing making him look expendable...
hey may be a righty, but f.pena put in another strong night last night...2ip 0h 1bb 3k
last thing the club seems to need is another reliever, though. the cubs starters keep putting lack-of-work pressure on the pen more than anything so far.
Good thing Bryant can play multiple positions. If he was only a 3B he'd be frustrated sitting.
I think it might have been just the push he needed.
I believe +411 by the '39 Yankees is the all-time record.
From now on maybe there's no point keeping score of the game, just track the run differential.
Dusty says, "screw you, Rob, just for that, I'm taking him out."
HAHAHAHA! Nicely done, "G".
I want to see Jason Werth in dreadlocks.
Half day work under Dusty
I love seeing the approach rub off on other players - some of it is Mallee maybe but when you see someone at the plate actually do it I think it means more. Javy still looks like Javy once in awhile, but he's taking stuff and going with the pitch sometimes. And he looks nothing like the Wild Thing he looked like when he came up.
It's about damn time.
We ARE getting spoiled.
They're working on that run differential complaint now.
Run differential at 101 now.
Lester is calling him Zobi Wan Kenobi. I like that name. Dude has been walking and seeing pitches all year and is just on fire now. What a great pickup.