Cubs Win One on the Rocks
Yasiel Balaguert singled three times, drove-in a run, and scored another, Sergio Burruel reached base three times on two singles and a walk, scored one run, and knocked-in another, and Dong-Yub Kim doubled twice and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 6-4 victory over the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, F-8, L-8, 1B, R, 2 SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (6-U FC, E-5, 2B, K, RBI)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 2-4 (2B, K, F-9, 2B, 2 R)
7. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 2-3 (P-6, 1B, BB, 1B, R)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, L-1 DP, HBP, 4-6 FC, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-3 (HBP, 1B, 1B, F-8, PO)
10. Justin Marra, DH-C: 0-3 (3-6 FC, BB, 6-3 DP, F-7)
11. Trevor Gretzky, DH-LF: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, 3-1)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 54 pitches (36 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 32 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Daniel Adrian: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory, extending AB)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - threw out batter 8-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
video of Maddon.
I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.
If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?
#Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.
Fun with FIP
- J. Hammel 3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
- J. Arrieta 2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
- J. Lester 2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
- K. Hendricks 2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
- J. Lackey 3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k
JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.
Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...
joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1
not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.
really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.
Classic Scully - great stuff.
Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)
Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:
"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."
When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.
If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.