Cubs Win One on the Rocks
Yasiel Balaguert singled three times, drove-in a run, and scored another, Sergio Burruel reached base three times on two singles and a walk, scored one run, and knocked-in another, and Dong-Yub Kim doubled twice and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to a 6-4 victory over the Rockies in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-9, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (E-4, F-8, L-8, 1B, R, 2 SB)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, F-9, R)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, F-7, R, RBI)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-4 (6-U FC, E-5, 2B, K, RBI)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF-DH: 2-4 (2B, K, F-9, 2B, 2 R)
7. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 2-3 (P-6, 1B, BB, 1B, R)
8. Brian Inoa, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, L-1 DP, HBP, 4-6 FC, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 2-3 (HBP, 1B, 1B, F-8, PO)
10. Justin Marra, DH-C: 0-3 (3-6 FC, BB, 6-3 DP, F-7)
11. Trevor Gretzky, DH-LF: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, 3-1)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 54 pitches (36 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (11 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 32 pitches (21 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Alvido Jimenez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Daniel Adrian: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory, extending AB)
2. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Sergio Burruel: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - threw out batter 8-4 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Didn't Jake cost them the game with a pitch to Frazier?
Missed the play w/Bryant. What happened?
Not a good decision by Bryant in the 9th. That may have cost them the game.
Can we un-do the Montgomery deal? Please?
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Who is this Arrieta guy? Can I get the old one back please?
Well, this is, once again, the whole season for the Sox.
...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.
bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.
chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.
i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.
the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.
Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.
He choked her.
Her brother tackled him to separate him.
He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.
I don't have to like him on the team I follow.
And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.
Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.
I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.
Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.
I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.
I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.