Metaphorically Speaking, What 2012 Represents: Rebuilding vs Deconstruction

From the previous thread, I came upon Old and Blue's complaint that he hates the phrase, "rebuilding year".

It implies that there is some actual construction going on. So far, best as I can tell, the only brick laid down is a Rizzo block, and there are no guarantees with prospects. Shark has been a pleasant surprise, but no credit for TheoCorp there. He's been in the system for some time.  I know I'm supposed to give this time, but so far, I'm pretty underwhelmed.

Hmmm. Maybe he's got something there. This made me think of a metaphor regarding the Foodie Fad of cooking deconstructed style. Yep, that's what Jedstein is using as their modus operandi.

They are deconstructing the Cubs:

• More hits than runs
  • Good starting pitching without wins

Here is a working definition of what is going on (thanks to the Foodie Buddah.com site):

At heart, any deconstructed dish (ball club) should contain all the classic components found in the “original.” The difference is in the preparation. When creating a dish (ball club) utilizing deconstructive techniques, the ingredients (players) are essentially prepared and treated on their own. It is during the plating and presentation stages that everything is brought together.

Based on the Cubs puny offense of late, it is apparent that we are not at the "plating" stage, and far from the "presentation" stage. So to make my point just a little easier to swallow, you can choose which of the following deconstructed vs classic options you prefer. Just make sure there is enough alcohol content, 2012 Cubs watchers are going to need it.

...and I just wanted to give props to Tim Souers Cubby-Blue site. Awesome "Ryan Dempster Can't Get Any Support" pictures (Even Mrs. Dempster could use a little support in these trying times). Plus he tells a Metaphorical story (thanks, Charlie) that only a 10 game Cub losing streak could force out of him.

Comments

Deconstructed lineup: DeJesus, Castro, Mather, LaHair, Soriano, Stewart, Barney, Lalli, Maholm

Lalli starting against his hometown team.

who's dog did campy kick?

is he screwing up the whole "come in last place" thing?

i mean, hey, i don't think the guy is the next coming, but he's been chaos for the opposition out there when he does play.

Joe Mather, cleanup hitter and starting center fielder. Your 2012 Cubs. *sigh*

according to c.m.

"Mather is starting in an attempt to get a little more pop into the lineup"

Cubs start Mather to add power to lineup. Your 2012 Cubs. *sigh*

/fixed

@CarrieMuskat: Steve Clevenger's rehab going well. He's 3-for-3 tonight with HR, 2B, 1B for @IowaCubs

Clevinger, BJax and Rizzo have HR's, I-Cubs ahead 5-4

@ESPNChiCubs: Rizzo hits No. 17 at Iowa.

So much for the Dolis as closer experiment. Marmol could have done that.

Vitters solo HR in 9th.

Iowa wins 6-4, McDougal scoreless 9th for a save.

We might see him in the Chicago pen soon.

pretty much sums up my feelings

Rob G. 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

billybucks 1 hour 43 min ago view

The E-Man 1 hour 55 min ago view

Arizona Phil 2 hours 1 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.

• I agree with the names you mention but there are lots of names being tossed around still and there's that small matter of Chapman agreeing to the extension.