Game 48 Thread - T. Wood vs. Suppan

The face of Joe Mather batting third will forever haunt my nightmares of the 2012 Cubs.

Padres Cubs
#Cabrera, 2B
Barney, 2B
#Parrino, SS
*Lalli, C
Suppan, P
Wood, P

What's more amazing, that the Cubs have lost 12 straight or that even though they've lost 12 straight, they're only tied for the worst record in baseball with the Twins? On that note, the Padres are tied in the loss column with the Cubs, but they can legitamely blame a serious injury bug for their woes, one of which is back today in the name of Carlos Quentin. So it's a bit of an early season match-up for the dubious top spot in the draft, although there's way too much baseball left this season to put much meaning on it.

Fun facts: Cubs team record for losses in a row is 14, the modern day record is 23 by the 1961 Phillies, although a few pre-19th century teams beat that (I believe 26 is the actual record).

Theo and Jed spoke on the losing streak and other such matters.

“We’re also very open to making moves,” Hoyer said. “A lot of our conversations are what we can do to shake things up. What we can do to change the roster a little bit. We’ll keep looking at those things. We don’t have the most flexible roster in the world because of some players’ options and situations."

And the draft...

“We don’t have a ton of arms in the minor leagues,” Hoyer said. “I think the best organizations are the ones that are littered with power arms. Some guys will become starters, some guys relievers, but the best bullpens are built internally, and the more we can add arms through the draft, the better, and I think that will be the focus, not just in 2012 but in every year. “

Finally, Carlos Marmol has been activated from the disabled list and Rafael Dolis has been optioned, from closer to Triple A in the span of 2 days.

Comments

Down 1-0 in the first

Even with a 25 mph wind out to center it seems insurmountable.

Nothing is insurmountable vs soup-can, 2-1 on a deJesus triple, Castro single, stolen base, sac by Mather, RBI go by LaHair

sac by Mather

lulz.

First At Bat:

Line drive single to right, thrown out at 2nd trying to stretch it.

I don't know what it is more interesting. Watching Soriano tie the game in Chicago with an RBI double, or checking in on the minor league box scores. Hope is a four letter word you know!

terrible bounce on that Stewart error fwiw.

6 homers through top 6...dat wind.

make that 7 into the bottom 6th.

soriano (6hr in last 13 games) gives the cubs a 1 run lead (7-8)...that would be a homer without the wind. epic.

make that 8 into the bottom 7th.

7-10, castro 2r homer (2hr the past 2 days, 4 total)

Chris Sale with 10 K's through 4.1 IP, decent pitch count too

11 K through 5, but down 1-0.

7.1 ip, 15k, 115 pitches and the win for Sale

not bad for their closer

Ted Roosevelt Lilly goes on the Dodgers DL with left shoulder inflammation.

I suppose he will need his knee scoped. Some things don't change.

May 28th...2012...still not turning double plays.

sigh. the "silent" defensive knock on this middle IF.

I thought it was a good decision to not throw it to 1st. There was no way Jeter could make that play!

if they'd charge the ball more rather than waiting for it to skip to their gloves they'd get more ops.

they both do a bunch of little things that leads to DPs not being made. barney is technically sound, but it's slow going through motions. both of them wait on the ball a bit too much only to end up not making the attempt or being late (or throwing it away...castro...).

I don't doubt your point.

I like the small improvement in Castro's consistency over the last month or so. He still doesn't look natural at SS and probably never will. He's natural instincts look best fit for outfield.

castro's ranging is getting a hell of a lot better deep/wide, imo...not that it was too slack to begin with, but he's really making some wide/deep plays happen. that arm, though...hope he finds more accuracy.

That's what I'm saying. I suppose I understand that Castro has more value as a SS because his arm is strong, but it's not really all too accurate. In another time and place I wouldn't have minded seeing them flip sides. Now, I'm just ready to let it go.

CUBS WIN!

"The Chicago losing streak reaches 12, one shy of the all-time Cub record -- before Fergie Jenkins snaps the string by blanking the Cardinals five to nothing."

Just a little Jack Brickhouse audio flashback for you guys. Anybody remember this?

• crunch 5 hours 32 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 5 hours 33 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 6 hours 6 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 6 hours 29 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 38 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 47 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 17 hours 6 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.