Angels Show Baez-less Cubs No Respect
Hank Conger blasted a solo home run and an RBI double, Zach Borenstein hammered a three-run HR, and Mike Sodders cracked a three-run double, leading the Angels to a 17-1 Memorial Day thrashing of the Cubs this morning at Diablo Park Field #3 in Tempe, AZ.
Shawon Dunston Jr belted a home run leading off the game, and that was the only Cub run of the day.
19-year old RHP Tayler Scott (Cubs 2011 5th round draft pick out of Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, AZ) had another rough start today, allowing nine runs (six earned) on six hits (including three doubles, a triple, and a home run) and two walks in 3.1 IP. He also commited a costly throwing error in a four-run Angel 4th. In his previous start last Wednesday, the young South Africa native surrendered two runs (both earned) on five hits (including four doubles) and a walk in 3.0 IP.
In EXST Cubs roster news, SS Javier Baez (Cubs 2011 1st round draft pick) has been promoted to Peoria after hitting 330/351/725 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (94 PA), with 8 HR & 28 RBI, six doubles, three triples, 11 SB (one CS), one walk, two HBP, and 23 K. He also made eight errors.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 2-3 (HR, 3-1, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, 6-4 FC, 5-4 FC, SB)
3a. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (6-3, 1B, F-7)
3b. Danny Lockhart, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
4a. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, E-6)
5. Dustin Geiger, DH #2: 0-4 (K, K, 4-3, 4-6-3 DP)
6. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 1-3, HBP)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-8, P-6, L-9)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (5-3, F-7, F-8)
9a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
10. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-3 (1B, 3-6 FC, P-4, PO)
1. Tayler Scott: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 9 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 62 pitches (33 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. Arturo Maltos-Garcia: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (15 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Alvido Jimenez: 1.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 28 pitches (13 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 34 pitches (19 strikes), 0/6 GO/FO
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (5 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. P Tayler Scott - E-1 (errant throw on attempted 1-2 FC with bases loaded allowed two runs to score)
3. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
4. 3B Danny Lockhart - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-1 CS
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Is this an old story? Regardless, it's awesome.
He's gonna turn 23 in a week.
Average age in A-ball is 21.2.
I'm sure he'll get a promotion soon though.
Yeah we're playing the Braves. No need for him to play this weekend though it sounds like he's available to pinch hit.
An all-round brutal article. He's not wrong, though.
Whew. Take no chances with him, please!
Per Muskat tweet:
"MRI confirmed #Cubs Bryant has mild ankle sprain. Will not play today. Not expected to go on DL"
"Nothing stunts a pitcher’s development like playing for the Orioles..."
Cubs have a guy you never heard of who gets hits every night for South Bend and is hitting .390 after 64 PAs.
Daniel Spingola, left/left, mostly RF, 31st rounder last June.
So while I'm not happy about this pick and hes going to be a project the positive that can be said is we aren't expected to compete this year and we have a decent LB core so he doesn't have to just go in and dominate. He has some time to develop and he obviously has the athletic ability and speed to build on. It
Going from a first place team to a third place team is a painful process.
Cards already whining
Cardinals look a little road-weary on getaway day http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-cardinals//post/_...
-via ESPN http://es.pn/app
dee gordon (MIA) suspended 80 days for PEDs. wow.
"excessive testosterone and Clostebol"
hell of a late-night news flash.
Seems like a bizarre pick -- they moved up 2 spots to pick up a guy who was not dominant in college. According to the talking heads, supposedly a great athlete (but an unpolished football player). So was Alonzo Spellman. And the guy who could jump out of a pool. Bears have missed the playoffs 5 straight years and 8 of the last 9. And they made Marc Trestman an NFL head coach. Maybe they can hire Theo in his free time. Sheesh.
And then the Bears pick an undersized linebacker with very few sacks in his college career and very little ability to shed blocks and the draft becomes less of a joy.