Amaya-zing Day for Gioskar at Talking Stick
Gioskar Amaya hit for the cycle and drove-in five runs, as the Cubs edged the Rockies 6-5 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Amaya reached base on a bad-hop single with one out in the top of the 1st inning, and laced a two-run triple in the 3rd, a three-run home run in the 5th, and a one-out double in the 8th.
The 19-year old Venezuelan is now hitting 291/406/417 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (96 PA), with a team-leading 16 walks. He also has eight stolen bases (second only to Javier Baez), with 0 CS. (He hit 377/417/510 in 52 games and 227 PA with the AZL Cubs last season).
Amaya was a DH today, but his defense has shown marked improvement this season, possibly because he has been allowed to concentrate on just one position (2B) instead of being moved around the infield from game-to-game as he was last season. He has made only three errors so far at 2B, and has displayed decent range and arm.
He also has excelled in the #2 slot in the batting order.
On the EXST Cubs injury front, LHP Hunter Ackerman relieved starter Ian Dickson in the bottom of the 3rd, but left the game after throwing only one pitch. He appeared to strain something in his right side or hip.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (F-9, 4-6 FC, 1B, K, 2 R)
2. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 4-4 (1B, 3B, HR, 2B, 2 R, 5 RBI)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-4 (L-5 DP, K, 3-1, P-3)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-3 (5-3, BB, K, F-9)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3, F-8, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-3 (L-8, BB, F-8, 1B, SB, PO)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, F-9)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-4 (4-3, K, F-9, F-9)
9. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, K, R)
10a. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (E-1, 2B, R)
10b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (5-3)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 56 pitches (32 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 pitch (0 strikes)
NOTE: Ackerman left game with injury after throwing one pitch
3. Rafael Diplan: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 31 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (18 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (18 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...