Amaya-zing Day for Gioskar at Talking Stick
Gioskar Amaya hit for the cycle and drove-in five runs, as the Cubs edged the Rockies 6-5 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Amaya reached base on a bad-hop single with one out in the top of the 1st inning, and laced a two-run triple in the 3rd, a three-run home run in the 5th, and a one-out double in the 8th.
The 19-year old Venezuelan is now hitting 291/406/417 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (96 PA), with a team-leading 16 walks. He also has eight stolen bases (second only to Javier Baez), with 0 CS. (He hit 377/417/510 in 52 games and 227 PA with the AZL Cubs last season).
Amaya was a DH today, but his defense has shown marked improvement this season, possibly because he has been allowed to concentrate on just one position (2B) instead of being moved around the infield from game-to-game as he was last season. He has made only three errors so far at 2B, and has displayed decent range and arm.
He also has excelled in the #2 slot in the batting order.
On the EXST Cubs injury front, LHP Hunter Ackerman relieved starter Ian Dickson in the bottom of the 3rd, but left the game after throwing only one pitch. He appeared to strain something in his right side or hip.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (F-9, 4-6 FC, 1B, K, 2 R)
2. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 4-4 (1B, 3B, HR, 2B, 2 R, 5 RBI)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-4 (L-5 DP, K, 3-1, P-3)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-3 (5-3, BB, K, F-9)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3, F-8, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-3 (L-8, BB, F-8, 1B, SB, PO)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, F-9)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-4 (4-3, K, F-9, F-9)
9. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, K, R)
10a. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (E-1, 2B, R)
10b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (5-3)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 56 pitches (32 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 pitch (0 strikes)
NOTE: Ackerman left game with injury after throwing one pitch
3. Rafael Diplan: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 31 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (18 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (18 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.