Amaya-zing Day for Gioskar at Talking Stick
Gioskar Amaya hit for the cycle and drove-in five runs, as the Cubs edged the Rockies 6-5 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Amaya reached base on a bad-hop single with one out in the top of the 1st inning, and laced a two-run triple in the 3rd, a three-run home run in the 5th, and a one-out double in the 8th.
The 19-year old Venezuelan is now hitting 291/406/417 in 27 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (96 PA), with a team-leading 16 walks. He also has eight stolen bases (second only to Javier Baez), with 0 CS. (He hit 377/417/510 in 52 games and 227 PA with the AZL Cubs last season).
Amaya was a DH today, but his defense has shown marked improvement this season, possibly because he has been allowed to concentrate on just one position (2B) instead of being moved around the infield from game-to-game as he was last season. He has made only three errors so far at 2B, and has displayed decent range and arm.
He also has excelled in the #2 slot in the batting order.
On the EXST Cubs injury front, LHP Hunter Ackerman relieved starter Ian Dickson in the bottom of the 3rd, but left the game after throwing only one pitch. He appeared to strain something in his right side or hip.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (F-9, 4-6 FC, 1B, K, 2 R)
2. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 4-4 (1B, 3B, HR, 2B, 2 R, 5 RBI)
3. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-4 (L-5 DP, K, 3-1, P-3)
4. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-3 (5-3, BB, K, F-9)
5. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 6-3, F-8, RBI)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 1-3 (L-8, BB, F-8, 1B, SB, PO)
7. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, F-9)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-4 (4-3, K, F-9, F-9)
9. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, K, R)
10a. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-2 (E-1, 2B, R)
10b. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 0-1 (5-3)
1. Ian Dickson: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 56 pitches (32 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 pitch (0 strikes)
NOTE: Ackerman left game with injury after throwing one pitch
3. Rafael Diplan: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 31 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Bryce Shafer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (18 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Pete Levitt: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (18 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jair Bogaerts - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Jake Arrieta gives up first inning run
For the first time in a year, 33 starts.
Old news, sorry if it's 3/44-
J-Hey being classy by repaying an old teammate:
Phil, your knowledge of the Cubs Minor League system is unbelievable.
This kid would be a key piece in a trade for a pitcher, imo.
LHSP Jose Paulino has electric stuff (91-94 MPH fastball with sinking action and a mid-80's slider), but he also has trouble commanding it.
RHP Jose Albertos (2015 IFA - Mexico - $1.5M bonus) just turned 17 in November, and his fastball already sits at 95-96. He also throws a curve and a change-up, and is fairly advanced for a kid his age.
I think I can probably tell you which pitchers and players at EXST are in contention for roster slots at Eugene and which are in contention for slots with the AZL Cubs - AS THINGS STAND RIGHT NOW - (listed alphabetically):
* bats or throws left
# bats both
Paniagua displayed plus-HR power in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training games in March, and that got him a slot on the South Bend Opening Day roster. But he was sent to EXST after only six MWL games.
More on the Cub Way.
Send Soler down!
Awesome thanks AZ
Great report, Phil! This organization has so many hitters to be excited about.
Ben Zobrist is very enjoyable to watch!!!!!!