A's Rally Dooms Cubs at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario lined an RBI double into the LF corner and Trey Martin clubbed a two-run triple off the CF fence to highlight a four-run Cubs 2nd, but the Athletics rallied to score two in the 6th, two in the 7th, and three in the 8th en route to an 8-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
The defensive play of the game was a diving catch by Xavier Batista at the RF foul line.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, SH-E1, 1B, K, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 1B, 6-4 FC, RBI, PO)
3a. Marco Hernandez, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 3-1, F-7)
3b. Dustin Geiger, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-4 (K, 2B, K, 3B)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (2B, K, F-9, K, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (3-U, K, BB, K, R)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
8a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (2B, K, R, RBI)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (K, K, F-7, 1B)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 R)
10b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-DH: 1-2 (P-6, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (24 strikes), 2/6 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 38 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 49 pitches (29 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Martinez - E-1 (missed catch on what should have been a 3-1 putout at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Trey Martin - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.
They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.
but then d.ross wouldn't have someone to pitch around him or IBB him to put him on base...it's almost moot...almost...not really...but almost...kinda...
just checked...7 IBB last year...hard to tell how many times he was pitched around, but even assuming it's 0 that brings his ob% to below .230 with a sub-.500 OPS.
the intro to the all-star game would take an hour longer just to announce the team...awesome.
Think how much more valuable Lester contract looks if he doesn't ever have to do that mockery of hitting thing he does!
TV schedule is out:
It's irritating that it's so difficult to watch Cub games.
The NL should just go ahead and out-DH the AL.