A's Rally Dooms Cubs at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario lined an RBI double into the LF corner and Trey Martin clubbed a two-run triple off the CF fence to highlight a four-run Cubs 2nd, but the Athletics rallied to score two in the 6th, two in the 7th, and three in the 8th en route to an 8-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
The defensive play of the game was a diving catch by Xavier Batista at the RF foul line.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, SH-E1, 1B, K, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 1B, 6-4 FC, RBI, PO)
3a. Marco Hernandez, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 3-1, F-7)
3b. Dustin Geiger, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-4 (K, 2B, K, 3B)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (2B, K, F-9, K, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (3-U, K, BB, K, R)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
8a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (2B, K, R, RBI)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (K, K, F-7, 1B)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 R)
10b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-DH: 1-2 (P-6, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (24 strikes), 2/6 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 38 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 49 pitches (29 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Martinez - E-1 (missed catch on what should have been a 3-1 putout at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Trey Martin - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother