A's Rally Dooms Cubs at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario lined an RBI double into the LF corner and Trey Martin clubbed a two-run triple off the CF fence to highlight a four-run Cubs 2nd, but the Athletics rallied to score two in the 6th, two in the 7th, and three in the 8th en route to an 8-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
The defensive play of the game was a diving catch by Xavier Batista at the RF foul line.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, SH-E1, 1B, K, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 1B, 6-4 FC, RBI, PO)
3a. Marco Hernandez, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 3-1, F-7)
3b. Dustin Geiger, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-4 (K, 2B, K, 3B)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (2B, K, F-9, K, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (3-U, K, BB, K, R)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
8a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (2B, K, R, RBI)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (K, K, F-7, 1B)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 R)
10b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-DH: 1-2 (P-6, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (24 strikes), 2/6 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 38 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 49 pitches (29 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Martinez - E-1 (missed catch on what should have been a 3-1 putout at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Trey Martin - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
Phil, any news on Oscar de la Cruz? Is he actively rehabbing?
Obama approves that message, as does the Trans community in N.C.
The advantage we have is Ross is a bit susceptible to the walk and this Cubs team, you know, walks a lot.
get a room, you two. actually, bring it in for a group hug! yeah!
The Crunch Reporter thanks you for your input. my feelies...however...weep for the future of this country.
@The E-man ♥ (for that post)
It is a "thing" with you. That's just it. The more here that point it out, the less you see it. WISCGRAD only one example. ROB G today....
That's ok - addicts are the last to find out they have a "thing".
once again, ONCE AGAIN...this isn't even a "thing" i started...i just commented on someone else "starting it." it's a message board. even if i did "start it" people shouldn't give a shit unless they have something to bring to the table...even if it's just a joke.
yes, i see a silver lining...i also see problems. i commented on both.
how about more posts complaining about things i say. TCR could use more of that.
Phil, any update on Oscar de la Cruz? Is he actively rehabbing?
CRUNCH: It is obvious that you never see the silver lining, are uninterested in the huge preponderence of positives that typically outweigh your nitpick of the post by like a 10:1 margin. You cared not about Lester's 10 K's the last start compared to your contrarian view of his mortal mistake (which didn't matter) of not getting the ball out of his glove. Today you go on about his glove out (which he did last year) and same results. And, you never seem to mention first that he pitched really well - shutout a team with nearly every player batting over .300.
i like turtles.
"I had a pretty good career before he (Ross) came along..."
it's like arguing with a moran...
nevermind. i've seen this film before, it sucked.
not sure it could be any better, but he gives up a lot on defense...so who knows? Soler's peripherals and inevitable warm weather makes me think he'll get it going soon. Sadly, the D will still suck.
Baez at 3B with Bryant in OF is looking more and more like the lineup we'll see in Sept/Oct, but again, who knows? I'm not too overwhelmed by Baez's AB's, still looks to be swinging out his ass, but he seems to be making more contact. But a .385 BABIP will not hold...although he should be launching a few more...but damn that D.
Yes! Why clog 'em up?!
Hopefully Hendricks will hit all his spots tomorrow.
Or, Joe Ross has a really off night.
OMG, he had a tough inning of his own doing!!! If only he walked all those hitters on base instead, we could be spared your delusions of 250 IP and consecutive CY Young awards.
There's a little going on here, that is being made into a lot by you.
Didn't WISCGRAD already debunk all this last year, certainly ignored by you, but I believe he went through every instance a runner was on base against Lester and how little it ended up mattering. And unlike you, I do not care to repeat myself ad nauseum.