A's Rally Dooms Cubs at Fitch Park
Neftali Rosario lined an RBI double into the LF corner and Trey Martin clubbed a two-run triple off the CF fence to highlight a four-run Cubs 2nd, but the Athletics rallied to score two in the 6th, two in the 7th, and three in the 8th en route to an 8-6 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
The defensive play of the game was a diving catch by Xavier Batista at the RF foul line.
Here is the box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1. Trey Martin, CF: 2-4 (K, 3B, SH-E1, 1B, K, 2 RBI, CS)
2. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (1B, P-5, 1B, 6-4 FC, RBI, PO)
3a. Marco Hernandez, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 3-1, F-7)
3b. Dustin Geiger, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-4 (K, 2B, K, 3B)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (2B, K, F-9, K, R)
6. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (3-U, K, BB, K, R)
7. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
8a. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (2B, K, R, RBI)
8b. Sergio Burruel, C: 0-2 (K, K)
9. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-4 (K, K, F-7, 1B)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 R)
10b. Dong-Yub Kim, PH-DH: 1-2 (P-6, 1B)
1. David Henrie: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (24 strikes), 2/6 GO/FO
2. Brian Smith: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 38 pitches (20 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 49 pitches (29 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
5. Matt Spencer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. P Carlos Martinez - E-1 (missed catch on what should have been a 3-1 putout at 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
2. CF Trey Martin - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 3rd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Sergio Burruel: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90’s
Well I assume Ross is going to catch Lester in the playoffs, and it looks like Contreras is going to catch everyone else. I could see the Cubs keeping three catchers on the playoff roster as it would give them flexibility and Montero would have a left handed bat with some pop (at least historically) off the bench.
Aren't Montero and Ross already in a tie for third catcher?
Higher than Chris Perez's mailbox.
Contreras starting at catcher for a day game after he caught the night before. What do people think the odds are that Montero is left off the post-season roster, or is at best the third catcher?
Does he project as a starter, a relief pitcher, or is it too soon to tell?
Rizzo getting a well deserved breather today with Bryant at 1B. Soler back in lineup batting cleanup and playing LF, otherwise all of the all-stars batting 1-5 again (what a luxury)
in his last 11 innings, he has 21K, 6BB, 4 hits and one ER. Nice!
5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)
sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.
My guy Addy
oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.
Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph
Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?
/Asking for a friend